Atmosphere CFW Cold Boot?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Runehasa, May 17, 2018.

1. scary_dog

scary_dog Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    ask yo mama
    Ok then did they mean softmod i.e booting into RCM without jig?

2. tinkle

tinkle Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    They mean you only need the jig once.

3. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    learn2Chingrish
    it means nothing
    probably means that if you keep it in sleep mode and not hard reboot
    we don't know yet

4. lukhart

lukhart Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Yeah but you only have to do it again if you turn off your switch right? Mine is always on sleep mode so I guess coldboot or not doesn't really matter for me.

5. theasker

theasker GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2009
    United States
    I have a 3.0.1 right now, do you think it would be better for me to try find a 3.0.0 instead? Okay I know it's better, but is it worth the effort to search and find for one? :)

6. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    That's entirely up to you to decide if it's worth it for you.

7. theasker

theasker GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2009
    United States
    I know :(

But I don't want to wait like 1 year for 3.0.1 to have cold boot into CFW :(

8. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    The thing is, no one knows how soon that is. Not even the RS guys. You just can't set a date and magically finish all the coding this thing needs.

9. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko O_o

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Every FW has coldboot exploit (of some sort) :P

10. mnemonicpunk

mnemonicpunk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2018
    Germany
    Upon release Atmosphere will have tethered coldboot functionality.

This means
    - Tethered: It will require a jig and a device plugged into USB exactly once per boot
    - Coldboot: It starts up before the Nintendo operating system (Horizon) does and takes total control of the system

THIS WORKS FOR ALL FIRMWARES.

What some people - including me - are hoping for is untethered coldboot functionality. While this may be possible, no way of achieving this has been released at this point. The guys over at ReSwitched have a few private vulnerabilities at their disposal, those are kept private to have something that works when Mariko releases, since Mariko will be immune against the FG exploit we use right now. These appear to be warmboot exploits though.

Now to differentiate coldboot from warmboot: Warmboot means that the Horizon OS is already running and a vulnerability in the system is exploited in order to inject ones own code into it and get it running. This is what PegaSwitch is, for example.

Last edited by mnemonicpunk, May 17, 2018
    TR_mahmutpek, SrTommy and scary_dog like this.
  11. scary_dog

scary_dog Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2018
    United States
    ask yo mama
    Thanks for clearing that up.. so the best thing would be unthethered coldboot option. Which may happen eventually..

12. tinkle

tinkle Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    TX is an untethered, coldboot, exploit. You can discover this by exercising your reading comprehension, and not being a racist twat and assuming that "it must just be the description is in chingrish because muh open sores cant do that."

NinjaSushi likes this.
  13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    You should improve your reading skills. Specially reading between lines. Otherwise you'll be tricked often.

They are saying you need to "install the OS with a tool only once". By "installing the OS" I'm willing to believe they mean "validate your key and link the OS with your specific console ID", for this you will even need to be connected to the internet.
    Notice they never said you won't have to resend the exploit every time you reboot. They only said "install the OS once", which meaning I analysed above.

14. mnemonicpunk

Newcomer
    May 10, 2018
    Germany
    That is exactly the language ambiguity I assume they are relying on. Thanks for phrasing it so succinctly.

15. tinkle

tinkle Member

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    Occam's razor, hunny: Whats more likely, that theres this big conspiracy to mislead people from a trusted company older than most people in this scene, or that they're a for profit entity who happens to have the resources to hire frankly more capable people? Use your head.

16. trOublie

trOublie Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2007
    Brazil
    Every thread here seems to turn into "I know more than you, you know nothing, this is incorrect the correct is" based merely on speculation only. This is getting boring.

-----a, yummycake and ParkerSaint like this.
  17. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    When they want you to pre-order ASAP so that they can get back the money they spent on R&D for a CFW solution that might be obsolete in the following weeks... well, I think the most probable is they are intentionally giving partial information.

18. mnemonicpunk

Newcomer
    May 10, 2018
    Germany
    Careful you don't cut yourself on that razor:
    What is more likely:
    - That someone happens to have found a completely different vulnerability that just happens to look exactly like what is already out there, released on video just days after that method became public without providing any video proof of the advertised features

or

- That someone wants to make money by making a publically available method of running homebrew a teeny little bit easier to run while promising features that they know everyone wants

You choose what you want. I choose logic.

19. MHDestination

MHDestination GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Germany
    Under your bed
    An untethered boot would be an advantage over Atmosphere. That would boost sales/preorders.

Question:
    Why don't they show that in their video???
    There's absolutely no reason to hide it.

The only point you're refering to is an incomplete hint in their product description.

So... why don't you use YOUR head and stop bitching around?

WE ALL should wait for release.

Unknown77 and sarkwalvein like this.
  20. Thatcher

Thatcher Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Let's assume that the TX video demonstrating the product is to increase sales & overall interest. If that's the case why wouldn't they have shown a coldboot working? Isn't that one of the *vague* features listed?

I'm not going to give a penny to TX until all the cards are out on the table and we know the facts. The important factor for me is being able to boot into CFW on the move so TX is the better option so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice