Bought a switch today and SX pro just arrived , what i should do next ?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Worek, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Worek
    OP

Worek Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi Guys , just bought a switch and SX pro just arrived . What i should do first ?

NANDbackup ? , i have firmware 3.0 , and i want to update to 5.1 , should i do it throught official update or no burning fusess method ?

I dont care about online ban , never play online

Thanks for any help !

2. navimor

navimor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2017
    Spain
    You should ALWAYS do a Nandbackup. That's all I have to say, I don't know if it would be better for you use the no burning fusess method :P

SuzieJoeBob and Worek like this.
  3. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Take a backup! The method of not burning fuses is quite a bit of work but it's nice to be able to downgrade if there's something new released at some point that requires a lower firmware (A softmod or maybe even coldboot) Official update has no advantage other than being a lot easier so it's up to you.

Worek likes this.
  4. medi01

medi01 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    Germany
    What is the reason to update to 5.1 from 3.0 (which games)?
    Did SX OS stop burning fuses on "safely" upgraded consoles?

5. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    medi01 likes this.
  6. Worek
    OP

Worek Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    So will it be right order of steps to follow ?

1. Make a nandbackup
    2. Update to 5.1 with no burnfusses method
    3. go online for a first time and download pokemon quest for devmenu ( cuz i really want nsp's for eshop games and updates)
    4.wipe out wireless setings, go offline
    5.load up SX os for a First time

splinterbr, Clapmaster and gameboy like this.
  7. kamesenin888
    This message by kamesenin888 has been removed from public view by linuxares, Jul 11, 2018, Reason: Stop it.
    Jul 9, 2018
  8. coveiro24

coveiro24 Member

Newcomer
    May 30, 2009
    Could you tell me where is the tutorial for the "no burnfusses method"? Thanks

9. lukhart

lukhart GBAtemp Stand User

May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Is the burnless method proven to be safe for online?

Personally, I would just normal update to 5.1 and download pokequest, then do a nand backup.

After that, clear your wifi settings, go into airplane mode and let the games come! Never go online until more safe solutions come, because if you do it your clean nand will be useless.

Even tho 3.0 will have a coldboot solution sometime in the future, with SX Pro (jig + dongle) and optional auto rcm you're never going to run on trouble making SX work. I have SX OS only and auto rcm enabled, so it's easy peasy to boot.

TL;DR: I don't think 3.0 is worth to keep at this moment just for coldboot, because your have SX Pro. Just update the normal way which is easier and safer.

Last edited by lukhart, Jul 9, 2018
    jaysea, aleexz and Worek like this.
  10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can follow this guide to update a system without burning any efuses, preserving a downgrade path. However, it requires installing AutoRCM.
    http://taraftartekstil.com/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

So far, nobody has been banned for only updating using the above guide. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 9, 2018
    ModderFokker619 and lukhart like this.
  11. kitzuki
    This message by kitzuki has been removed from public view by Chary, Jul 9, 2018, Reason: Requested.
    Jul 9, 2018
  12. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    You should start to backup your games next...

13. Worek
    OP

Worek Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks , i go this way then ;) noburning fuses method is a lots of work and quite confusing

Last edited by Worek, Jul 9, 2018
  14. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    1. Make a nandbackup
    2. Update to 5.1 with no burnfusses method
    3. go online for a first time and download pokemon quest for devmenu ( cuz i really want nsp's for eshop games and updates)
    4.wipe out wireless setings, go offline
    5.make another nand backup
    6.load up SX os for a First time

THIS IS WHAT IM DOING RIGHT NOW

Clapmaster, Worek and medi01 like this.
  15. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    GHOSTBUSTERS!

16. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    desactivate "share error" to Nintendo in the Switch
    put SX OS (boot.dat) and CTCaer 3.1.bin in the SD
    use the SX Loader (dongle)
    Launch CTCaer/hekate 3.1 (in options, launch external payload)
    Do a Nandbackup and boot0 and boot1 backup
    Put the files in your computer
    put your roms in the SD
    Launch and activate SX OS for fisrt time.

17. SushiKing

SushiKing GBAtemp Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    I think the most important step im getting out of this thread is to make sure you have a Nand Backup...

Worek likes this.
  18. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    my opinion
    normal update to 5.1, get pokemon quest installed to system, nand backup, wifi off, load sx1.3, auto rcm

Worek likes this.
  19. Cdoan34

Cdoan34 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I just received my switch today on firmware 4.1 and i was wondering if the recommendations to update to 5.1 stand with the news of switches where the fusee-gelee is patched.

Additionally I attempted to link my account to download Pokemon quest but it is requiring me to update in order to do so, would you guys think this is safe to do as my switch is not patched?

Thanks!

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Only update to 5.1 if you don't want to use a jig and USB cable to load hacks for a long time. 4.1 and below have unreleased exploits that can load hacks via a webpage. This exploit has not been patched out fully in 5.X which may delay its eventual release.

Account bans are rare but a pain to un-link if the console is banned which can happen if you connect the Switch online after making a modification that violates Nintendo's Terms of Service. If you must use a Nintendo Account, its better to use one that does not contain your important purchases.

21. medi01

medi01 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    Germany
    I would suggest to check if your switch is FG vulnerable or not.
    If it is, the only thing you lose by (directly) updating to 5.1 is, perhaps, option of cold booting CFW without inserting anything into USB slot.
    If it isn't, then... mm, you'll need to wait for HEN type exploits which might take quite a long time, given how long it takes to crack even SX OS.
    (frankly, I'd personally return the switch and tried to get older, vulnerable HW, there should be plenty)

22. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    If I may ask, what modelnumber is on the back (HAC-01-ZZZZZZZZ) and give a couple of the first serialnumbers, not all of it, remove like the 4 last.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice