Do you like your voice?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    It's been a thing on my mind forever. Sometimes I think about my voice. The only thing that kinda gets to me is how I hear myself when I record my voice, like some old video our parents used to record for some special event or maybe just on the phone or any other kind of recording devices. I kinda just don't understand why it bothers me. But I wonder if other people are happy with the way they sound. Is probably a odd topic to discuss but I'm really interested. :)

2. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I like my voice how it sounds in my head, but I don't like how it sounds in recordings

leafeon34, DarthDub, Pluupy and 5 others like this.
  3. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Most people dislike the sound of their own voice in recordings. There's a scientific reason that I'm too lazy to get a proper source on.

Quite a few people, including customers have said that I have a radio voice. I don't see it myself but I like that aspect of it.

DinohScene likes this.
  4. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    Pretty sure its a fact that you will hate your voice when you hear it on a video or played back to you

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    In recordings the only time I like my own voice is if I put a thick heavy "Darth Vader" tone to it. Beyond that everyone says they love my voice? It confuses me because I feel like I sound hmm too high pitched or something. Like someone else posted there is some sort of reason for this but I think it' probably like the uncanny valley thing but for sound, and reproduction.

Edit: Thinking about it now, I think the reason it sounds high pitched to me... is the sound is leaving my vocal cords and hitting my ears at one speed but the vibrations from the bones in my head are probably slightly offset so one wave is slightly longer to my ear. When recorded your not getting the benefit of the extra wave cycle thrown in.

At least that's my theory lol

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo, Jul 1, 2018
  6. ShaytheStar

ShaytheStar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    United States
    my bed
    I'm FTM taking testosterone, and I adore my voice because it's gotten a lot deeper these past 5 months. I didn't really notice the huge difference until some Spanish project made me do a voiceover. Very happy.

Last edited by ShaytheStar, Jul 1, 2018
  7. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Can't really say I'm the fondest of my voice. It could be worse, but as it stands right now, I feel like my voice gives a bit of an awkward teenager vibe, with an occasional lisp on some words. The fact that I keep second-guessing my word choice and end up stuttering occasionally doesn't help.

I suppose I'm better at communicating through written text than I am through speech. That's probably true for a lot of people.

8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Pluupy, ry755 and DinohScene like this.
  9. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I really dislike the sound of my voice.
    That's about it.

It just doesn't sound it belongs to me.

10. uiaad

uiaad One smug guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    I absolutely hate the sound of my own voice. It really is to the point where i have started started projects had everything but the editing complete and just couldn't bring myself to listen to my voice for the next 10-15 hours

11. XAIXER

XAIXER Supreme Kaiser

Mar 11, 2016
    Canada
    The Ends of Eternity
    I like pretty much everything about me; but my voice does sound better echoing inside my head.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Respect the Hero

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    My voice is whinier than I'd like it to be, but I got used to it when doing video editing a year or so ago. It could definitely be worse, so I'll find some solace there.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Hate me own voice as well.

14. deltamind

deltamind Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2018
    United States
    When I hear other people out then it seems they have a great dense voice but when I speak it doesn't seem like I am speaking, it seems like I am squeaking lol. Very annoyed.

15. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    I remember the reason being how your head filters out certain sounds from your own voice so you hear it differently. What you hear from a recording is what other people hear. This is what I read a long time back anyway.

16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    My innervoice is much more light than my outervoice. I had to train myself to sound more light because my bass voice make it hard for people to understand me.

The "Innervoice" you hear is actually vibrations from your jaws directly to your ears. (If I remember correct)

Jiehfeng likes this.
  17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Melodramatic fool

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I hate my voice so much.

18. supergamer368

supergamer368 good at something

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    I liek my voice, but I don’t like not being able to do many impressions. My limitations are basically Marge Simpson, Luigi (from cartoon), and Toad. And my Marge voice is getting crappier.

19. CayFun

CayFun GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    United States
    The depths of Depression
    uh no sadly

20. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    It's interesting, the science behind it. I think it has some relevancy to why we see ourselves better in the mirror than in pictures?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice