FIFA World Cup 2018 Megathread

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Costello, May 6, 2018.

?
  1. Argentina

24 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Belgium

12 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Brazil

47 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. England

35 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. Germany

136 vote(s)
    29.6%
  6. France

16 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. Portugal

23 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Russia

20 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Spain

27 vote(s)
    5.9%
  10. (Other)

119 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    WC2018 matches: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/
    World cup 2018 starts on June 14th in Russia with the first game Russia vs Saudi Arabia.
    Who do you support?
    Who do you think will win?

PLEASE NOTE: if you don't like football / soccer please simply do not post in this thread.
    Nobody wants to see your "football/soccer sucks" comments. You have been warned.

phalk, DarthDub, brickmii82 and 3 others like this.
  2. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Sucks that Ireland didn't make it this year. Only hope is that France makes it longer than UK.

3. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    have you got anything against England in particular? are you Irish by any chance? :P

x65943 likes this.
  4. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    My family is from Western Ireland (a gaeltacht region!)

Haha good call there Costello.

5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Wow, nobody stands out for me at the moment! Belgium have a strong team but I can see them choking easy like in the Euro's. Germany aren't playing, but they always seem to save themselves for a tournie, you can never write them off, so I THINK my vote goes for them at the moment.
    England?! Ha!! :rolleyes:

6. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    my country didn't make it to the world cup. i will support argentina because MESSI is my favorite player and the best player of all time.

x65943 likes this.
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I guess it won't be Italy /s

Now, I hope it won't be Germany.
    I am starting to hate when Germany wins it.
    I think quite probably it will be Germany.

Regarding Argentina... it shouldn't be even in the list, given how shitty it has been playing lately (as in for two years at least already).

Last edited by sarkwalvein, May 6, 2018
    x65943 likes this.
  8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I forgot to mention, of course I will support Argentina, that's my team. And after it gets eliminated in the group stage I guess I will support Spain and then Brazil.

I still think it's a pity Italy won't play this time around.

(this is a shameless bump dressed as a double post)

9. Marco_Buns

Marco_Buns The Lonely Man On The Iceberg

Aug 31, 2015
    Iceland
    Suprised that my country made it but I'm pretty sure they won't go pretty far.

Costello likes this.
  10. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    I see a lot of people voting for Germany in the polls...You would have to take into consideration though that for the last few tournaments during recent years, the winners of the previous tournament always performed poorly/got knocked out during group stage.

At any rate, since my favorite team, Italy, didn't even qualify, I would have to go for for my second favorite, Japan, but then again they sacked their coach earlier this month, two months before the beginning of the tournament; so god knows what's going to happen to them now...

P.S. Thanks @Costello for adding that warning at the end...Too many times have I seen these anti-football/soccer trolls on this forum.

Last edited by hiroakihsu, May 6, 2018
  11. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Other: Sweden!!! :D
    It's not realistic, but I am hoping. And this qualifying we played really well against a lot of competent opponents. (*Cough* italy *cough*)

DarthDub and sarkwalvein like this.
  12. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    I honestly don't care as much about soccer. Sadly, lots of people over here do. And they do it loudly. So, whoever wins this time, I personally hope my country gets kicked out of the World Cup asap, so I get to sleep properly during the nights.

DarthDub, vpd and sarkwalvein like this.
  13. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I must say they are also very annoying, specially if you were an Argentine living in Germany during 2014... Sure they didn't stop the jokes for, what was it... months?

Well... I am sure a German in Argentina would probably have got the same if the case was inverted, so I guess I just hate extreme football fanaticism. That's life.

14. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Germany always have a good squad, they are serious and rarely lose against smaller teams. They can sometimes fail against bigger teams, depending on events in the game.

This time, I'm voting for Brazil. They have several world class players and a good coach, as well as a strong squad in all departments.

I will of course be supporting France, my country, but I think their chances are limited. They could reach the 1/4s probably, but beyond that it'll have to depend on sheer luck, because I don't think they are inherently superior to the others.

x65943 likes this.
  15. Titanica
    This message by Titanica has been removed from public view by Costello, May 8, 2018, Reason: please post only if you have something to say that actually contributes to the thread.
    May 7, 2018
  16. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    I may put 50$ on Belgium. I like their odds in Vegas and they look pretty tough offensively.

17. plasturion

plasturion GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2012
    Poland
    Tree
    Tell the true I don't care. Let all teams win.

Last edited by plasturion, May 8, 2018
  18. Eix

Eix Trap Waifu (I require all snuggles, E'icks not X)

May 27, 2017
    United States
    Lurking in the Void for a bit
    Lots of votes for germany
    Im not big on the sport since the most experience i have is being used as a human sheild in middle school so idk what makes people vote for which team
    But i assume germanys pretty good since it has the most votes and its the only team i hear about
    Also
    "Nobody wants to see your "football/soccer sucks" comments. You have been warned."
    Soccer is just abunch of skiny dudes chasing a ball around
    Miss me with that gay shit /s

19. ShonenJump

ShonenJump Gbatemp's Mangaka

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Space
    my country didn't make it otherwise i would've voted for Netherlands. But it's a big year for football alright! Along with the new inazuma eleven and the captain tsubasa reboot anime!

20. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I'm not into soccer (seriously why seems that to be a common thing for germans here in this forums judging from the (small amount of) posts in this thread?), but I'm curious if Costello forgot a team in this list or if the high amount of "(Other)" votes comes from people from various places who hope there team wins ("(Other)"-votes mainly beeing for one team vs beeing a collection of many teams) :unsure:

To be fair if this gay shit would have been the most played sport in your country back in your middle school days you wouldn't have experienced beeing used as a human-shield ;) (here take this comma "," and place it in the last sentence where you want :P)

Last edited by VitaType, May 8, 2018
    x65943 likes this.
  21. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Completely agree. American Football is a very dangerous sport that causes a neurodegenerative disease very similar to Alzheimer's, but with a much earlier onset.

Soccer is safer and cheaper. You don't need hundreds of dollars of pads to play. Just a ball and some rocks to mark the goal line. The ease of play and relative safety are the reasons soccer is the international ball game and not American football.

DarthDub likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice