Question Finally got my SX Pro, but...

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by DiscostewSM, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    ...I'm hesitant in using it right now. The only thing I'd like to do with it atm is homebrew (non-cheating, no pirated backup loading, just emulation and save backups). Maybe ripping my own carts and running them from microSD so I won't have to keep swapping the carts. But supposedly, doing any of that can result in a ban.

Even though there's no 100% way to restrict sending data to Nintendo (I'm in the US) AND being able to do online play, what would be the best course of action regarding what I'd like to do? Even just emulation and save backups would be fine.

2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Eh. There's a risk involved with any route you take. However, you CAN place the Hekate bin file on the root of your sd card and launch it through the SX menu. I don't know. I'm weary of warez myself.. And even backing up my legitimate cartridges.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  3. Darklinkreturns

Darklinkreturns GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2014
    United States
    Even basic Homebrew could result in a ban though, as far as anyone can tell.

4. gabe_derp

gabe_derp Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    what
    The general consensus right now is to keep your Nintendo Switch in Airplane Mode, and to turn off error log sending. Other than that, any use of Homebrew is risking a ban. That's why it's optimal to have two Switchs, one for games, and one for modding. However, if you're like me and don't have that type of moolah to go around, just stay on Airplane Mode & don't do anything drastic. You should be fine.

5. PonyStation4

PonyStation4 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    I got banned and all I did was...

1. Install SX OS
    2. Install backup of my Mario Kart 8 cart with legal keys
    3. Play Fortnite online
    4. Did touch it for a week
    5. Try to run Fortnite and BANNED :glare:

6. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Played Fortnite online in OFW or CFW?

7. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    install?

8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you only want to use homebrew, and being banned would be bad for you, then it doesn't make sense to use paid SX OS - there's zero to gain and everything to lose. You should just use the free version for homebrew, and sell your cartridges and buy the games on the eShop.

BL4Z3D247 likes this.
  9. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer The real slaphappygamer

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    This is what I’ll be doing. I’ll boot into Hekate, -first thing- and make my nand and boot1/0 backups.

10. RareKirby

RareKirby GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2011
    United States
    Silly silly cat. uvu everyone knows that buying games digitally are more expensive than buying it physically. Why would he sell his games and pay more to get them digitally? Silly consummate who never ever done anything bad and buys their games. So silly XP

11. wurstpistole

wurstpistole Proud TX supporter

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Well, what I did so far was
    - running homebrew
    - running XCI backups
    - updating said backups in OFW

No LayeredFS, no online gaming of backups. Not banned. Yet.

12. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    A small amount to pay if you care about preserving access to online play.

13. RareKirby

RareKirby GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2011
    United States

upload_2018-7-12_4-38-15.png

14. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    well he obviously bought the SX Pro as a payload dongle. I guess that's what OP wants, not the OS iteself.

DiscostewSM likes this.
  15. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    That's why I suggested using only the free version, that enables homebrew. You should still be able to launch that through the dongle.

DiscostewSM likes this.
  16. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Kinda both, with the latter for when things calm down, improve, and hopefully are much less prone to banning. But yeah, right now, I simply want a means to run homebrew and backup my saves, and the dongle contributes to that.

I'm not understand the point regarding selling my carts and buying the games on the eShop. Is there an issue with carts and doing homebrew that can lead to a ban?

So anyways, since I just want to only do homebrew using the dongle, backup my saves (and now that I think about it, backing up my FW and stuff), what steps should I take? Is there a thread regarding this? Is the free version already on the dongle? Is the method to activate paid SX OS in plain sight or at least buried somewhere so that I can avoid accidentally executing it for the time being? Is there a thread that has a list of all the homebrew that can be used with this? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and how I do it before I begin anything.

17. Quantumcat

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You said this:
    We don't know exactly what will cause a ban, and using TX's backup loader on games that you play online is a very good candidate for a ban. Or at minimum, a ban on the cartridges certs, which means they can no longer play online. That would make any game that is mostly about online play like Splatoon, near worthless. Better to sell the carts and buy digital copies, if you're concerned about swapping carts all the time and you don't want to be banned.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM
  18. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Ah, I thought your mention of it was with regards to homebrew. My fault.

19. Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm waiting for more info aswell, kept mine in airplane mode and stayed away from dev menu and layeredFS and waiting to see if the majority get banned or not lol

Last edited by Wrathcaster, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:01 AM
  20. Hking0036

Hking0036 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    CTCaer has released a script to pack any fg bin to a boot.dat, I've used it with success with hekate 3.2. I'd recommend that if all you want to do is run homebrew stuff.

I got my SX Pro recently, and although I love splatoon 2 (sold me a wii u for the original, then a switch for 2) it's getting hard to haul around all the carts I have in case I want to play them, so I bit the bullet and went ahead with it. Using airplane mode w/ Bluetooth and nfc on for cfw, and rebooting to ofw with clear logs in hekate to play splatoon 2, so far no ban but it's only been a day. Hoping that I can get away from it but not holding my breath.

Last edited by Hking0036, Jul 13, 2018 at 1:06 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice