Discussion GPL discussion tx

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by kamesenin888, Jul 12, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, GPL is important and tx should be prosecuted and die

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No, GPL is bogus for a piracy product and I couldn't care less

38 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Yes, GPL is important and tx should deliver their source code to abide to the law

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No, TX should not have to adhere to the GPLv2 license by releasing their source code

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kamesenin888
    OP

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007
    This is a thread for all the people that can't resist to talk about GPL breach in other tx os threads, I really couldnt care less about GPL but its helpful to have it

Some information about how a gpl is breached

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

Quoting Draxzelex

We have evidence that the easter egg of the hbloader was copied in 1.2 but there is no further analysis about what else is copied, only was mentioned about an old hbloader that was used

Last edited by kamesenin888, Jul 12, 2018
  2. Quantumcat
    This message by Quantumcat has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jul 12, 2018.
    Jul 12, 2018
  3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Allow me to start. *clears throat* It breached the GPL license. End of story.

Breaching GPL =/= can't buy/use SX OS. You cannot argue the facts. You can only discuss what people will do with them. And the point is they shouldn't affect what you do afterwards.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 12, 2018
    ItsKipz likes this.
  4. zaku

zaku Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    I'm an ethical pirate. I pirate Nintendo games but get mad when someone don't respect GPL license.

5. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands

there is literally nothing ethical about it...

6. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    I think he's joking :)

7. kamesenin888
    OP

Oct 20, 2007
    I dont think there is evidence except what hekxys has said, there is not an analysis of what is copied, except the easter egg, and that they say that is an old version of the hbloader

8. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Let's just get the facts out of the way - TX broke the GPL license. What that means is up to you, but the fact still stands.

9. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Neither of these options represent the reality of the situation. The two options are just two extremes which nobody is proposing, and it sounds like you don't really understand what the controversy is about.

The code is licensed under GPLv2. This means that TX are allowed to use the code for commercial purposes, they just have to open source their derivative terms under the same terms. Anybody saying that TX aren't allowed to sell a produce using GPL code is incorrect, GPL explicitly allows for commercial usage - there are non-commercial permissive open source licenses, GPL is not one of them. They merely have to release their own source code as per the GPL.

Nobody is saying that SX should 'die' or that TX should be 'prosecuted', merely that their code adheres to the license.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. kamesenin888
    OP

Oct 20, 2007
    So what do you suggest? the options are there to be altered

11. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    "Team Xecuter should have to adhere to the GPLv2 license by releasing the source code for their derivative work"

Or.

"Team Xecuter should not have to adhere to the GPLv2 license by releasing the source code for their derivative work"

12. smf

smf GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    They probably violated the GPL license. We don't know what extent they did as they may have started out by copying the code completely and then rewritten it just leaving the text strings that were left. I'm not sure the text strings would be covered as a copyright violation. It's also possible they didn't change anything and they willfully violated GPL and don't care.

Ultimately they have bigger legal issues than a GPL violation, which would only ever be a civil case.

The DMCA/EUCD/etc violations are criminal.

Last edited by smf, Jul 12, 2018
  13. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Why do people care so much? Does this affect your life in any way at all? No! is it stopping the development of Atmosphere? No! I know almost all of the people complaining about TX "stealing" code, use cfw for piracy. I wish mods would start banning people who keep making threads like this.

14. kamesenin888
    OP

Oct 20, 2007
    Added 2 new options and a maximum of 2 options per person, so you have the option to choose the originals

15. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If anyone feels like they have a very good understanding of the GPL thing and the history of it please pm me

16. kamesenin888
    OP

Oct 20, 2007
    If you get more information I will add it to the OP so the information is there for everyone

17. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Ugh. The solution was to move any such arguments out of this subforum. Not create another thread for it.

The forum name is not Backup Loaders and GPL Discussions.

18. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Actually, if they improved any GPL code, Atmosphere could benefit from it.

That’s one reason why people care about GPL violations since any improvements could help the project they got the source from.

19. c80

c80 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2018
    Germany
    GPL, not GPL license. The L in GPL stands for license. The way you wrote it, it means General Public License license, which is obviously wrong.

20. Priyam

Priyam GBAtemp Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    India
    It's sarcasm

21. DeuX

DeuX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Since when do Chinese company’s respect copyright and GPL? They would copy the Statue of Liberty if they needed... with that said, I don’t really care that they didn’t respect GPL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice