[GUIDE] The Ultimate Noob PS Vita/PSTV Hacking Guide (Check here first!)

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Voxel, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    NPSVPSTVHG-Logo.png
    Hello!

To save time on asking questions in new threads, I have constructed a guide for users to follow, and to ask about/point out additional info! It has plenty of information you will need to set up your Vita for many existing hacks, and ones to come! :)

Take note that the tutorials in the "Older Tutorials" category are not to be followed unless you're below 3.60 for whatever reason, they're here for archival purposes only.

Latest firmware: 3.68
    Latest EXPLOITABLE firmware: 3.68
    PSN Spoofing? Yes

Table of Contents:

1 - Introduction
    2 - Guides
    3 - Older Guides (Do not use these if you are looking to get the latest hacks and homebrew)

4 - FAQ

Purchasing a Vita (If you haven't already!)

Recently been interested in getting into the Vita scene, but unsure of where to start where buying is concerned? Well you've came to the right place, as this (very simple!) guide to purchasing a Vita should be able to clean up all of your concerns of what exactly to look out for.

Which is the right firmware for me?
    Currently firmwares 3.60 and 3.65 are the golden firmwares if you are interested in permanent hacks which persist after every reboot, however you will not be able to play games or apply updates which require a higher version than whichever firmware you chose out of these two.
    3.60 will only require you to visit this site once in the Vita browser to apply the HENkaku exploit, whereas for 3.65 you will need to set up the H-Encore exploit bubble. Afterwards, you can then use the Enso installer to make the hack persistent on every reboot.

On firmwares 3.67-3.68, a semi-tethered hack called H-Encore enables you to launch a bubble from the home menu, then lets you install and run HENkaku whilst your Vita is still fully powered on. (The hack will disappear on reboot and you will have to run the bubble again)
    Ultimately, finding the right firmware for you is dependent on your patience to run the hack every time or not, and whether you want to stay up-to-date for the latest games and game updates.

Firmwares under 3.60 have none of the latest hacks and are pretty much useless to stay on now. Depending on the choice you made above, you can update stright to 3.68, or grab an update PUP file for either 3.60 or 3.65 and use QCMA and Safe Mode to manually update to the specified firmware.

HENkaku Tutorials

Below are a series of HENkaku-related tutorials. You can understand how to set up HENkaku for the first time, as well as installing VPKs for both homebrews and Vita game backups, plus much more.

Please note that the ability to install HENkaku works on unmodified 3.60 ONLY. Backports are not on the official developers' minds due to several other priorities. 3.61 and higher patch HENkaku!

Updating your Vita to 3.60 (HENkaku Update Server)

This is for users still under 3.60 looking to get a piece of HENkaku quickly and easily, without any hassle. This guide will take you all the way to the golden firmware, 3.60, through the use of Yifan_Lu's DNS server! It's seriously a very easy process, and extremely noob-friendly!

1) Go to Settings -> Network -> Wifi Settings -> Your Connected Access Point -> Advanced Settings
    2) Under DNS Settings, select 'Manual', and set the Primary DNS to 212.47.229.76.
    3) Now you may go back to the root Settings menu and choose 'System Update' -> 'Update using Wifi'.
    4) Only update if it says "Firmware 3.60 (変革 Compatible)", otherwise you should follow these steps again and ensure any other settings are not conflicting the process!
    5) After you have downloaded and installed the 3.60 update, you are now free to start setting up HENkaku!

Setting up HENkaku for the first time (3.60 Users)

HENkaku is a relatively easy exploit to install, requiring just an internal memory card and access to the internet. Here's a quickstarter to get the MolecularShell bubble installed, and then install the VitaShell VPK straight afterwards.

With HENkaku, thanks to the immense amount of work put in by developers and communities alike, you can:
    • Access native Vita homebrew and homebrew games
    • Dump/install PS Vita backups
    • Spoof PSN to access features under the latest firmware
    • Get access to the full file system and its features
    • Run Vita romhacks and translations made by the community
    All you need is just over 10MB of storage space on your memory card, and an internet connection also.

The Method:

Setting up H-Encore (3.65-3.68 Users)

This is a new exploit for 3.65-3.68 users who missed out on the HENkaku train. It installs a bubble to your Vita's home screen which allows running the exploit in order to access homebrews, game backup loading, and the like.
    It is a 'semi-tethered' exploit, which means you'll have to re-run it on every reboot (though as it's a bubble and completely offline, it doesn't take long), though if you are on 3.65, you may use this as a gateway to installing Enso (3.67-3.68 users cannot use Enso, therefore must continue to use this bubble all the time in order to keep using homebrews and backups)

Follow TheFloW's official readme file for steps on how to install the app onto the Vita via psvimgtools and CMA: http://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/h-encore

Installing VPKs via your new MolecularShell installation (through FTP)

So now you have your basic HENkaku needs, you are ready to dive into the rapidly-developing scene of homebrew and games! If you would like to see a diverse archive of Vita homebrews and utilities in VPK format, ready to be installed straight to your Vita, GBATemp member @VitaType has been working hard round the clock to bring you the latest and greatest apps and games for us to enjoy! Head on over to his impressive sticky thread for those said homebrew apps!

:!: DISCLAIMER: :!:
    Please be wary of malicious apps. There has been known to be disguised brickers out there in the wild, so when VitaShell states the app "remounts partitions", cease installing it and be sure to contact the person who made the app if you can! Running it could cost you your Vita...!

The Method:

Transferring files from the memory card through USB to/from a PC

Starting from VitaShell 1.5, users now have the option to manage files on the memory card via USB instead of FTP. This allows for much faster transfer speeds, and is generally one of the most simplest ways to manage files. There are some things you will need to know if you wish to have complete ux0 access though, as Windows automatically hides a few protected folders...

The Method:

HENkaku Enso Installation (permanent HENkaku)

On 29th July 2017, Team Molecule publicly released HENkaku Enso to mark their 1st anniversary since the original HENkaku debut. This variation of the well-known 3.60 browser-based exploit is installed into the boot sequence, eliminating the need to constantly revisit the web browser and execute the exploit on every reboot. This is also very useful and convenient for PSVSD and SD2Vita adapter users, as you will no longer have to keep remounting your adapter as ux0 either. Everything is now executed at boot time!

This can be installed on 3.60, or 3.65 if you set up H-Encore. 3.67-3.68 are not supported!

Installation Instructions

NoNpDrm dumps - Creating/Installing

NoNpDrm dumps are almost 1:1 backups of a legitimate game. They are much, much more stable in terms of compatibility than Vitamin or MaiDump dumps, so nowadays it is highly recommended to install NoNpDrm dumps instead.

In this guide, I will go through how to dump legitimate games, then briefly how to install them at the end. If you are here solely for the piracy aspect, I suggest you look up a neat app called PKGi.

The Method:

Installing Adrenaline (ePSP Custom Firmware)

Adrenaline is a PSP eCFW, created and developed by TheFloW, for henkaku users. It allows you to install a fully-fledged PSP CFW, then transfer PSP EBOOTs/ISOs of your choice over to your memory card to access and play them.

Adrenaline is a software that modifies the official PSP Emulator using taiHEN CFW framework to make it run a PSP 6.61 custom firmware. Thanks to the power of taiHEN, Adrenaline can inject custom code into the IPL which allows unsigned code to run at boottime.

Note: An activated Vita with a PSN game used to be required to use Adrenaline, but this is no longer the case. Adrenaline can now be installed from a VPK.

To install Adrenaline to your Vita, download the latest version from this link:
    http://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/Adrenaline/releases

Tom Bombadildo's full guide to installing Adrenaline:
    http://taraftartekstil.com/threads/installing-adrenaline-6-61.449344/

(PSTV only) Mounting USB Stick as ux0

This tutorial will guide you on how to get a USB pen drive up and running on your PSTV. This is a really useful and money-saving feature, as the infamous memory cards are still often more expensive than the PSTV itself to this day!

The Method

Older Tutorials

NOTE: Do not read further/use these tutorials if you are looking to get the latest hacks and homebrew! These tutorials were written before HENkaku was around, and are here for archival purposes only.

These guides were originally some of the many hacks and tricks for earlier firmwares, before the time of HENkaku. They are all obsolete, and are only to be used if you absolutely insist on staying on a firmware pre-3.60 for whatever reason.

For the latest, better, up-to-date Vita hacking and homebrew content, use the several tutorials above the page.

• Mail Exploit Setup

This is a tutorial to set up the fail-mail exploit. It can allow you to dump, delete, and write to specific parts of the Vita's [acronym=NAND - sometimes also known as Flash Memory, the NAND stores all the system files and software.]NAND[/acronym]. The fail-mail exploit will NOT WORK WITH FIRMWARES 3.55 AND UP, NOR WILL IT WORK ON FIRMWARES UNDER 3.00!

The process for this turorial is exactly the same for the PSTV.
      The Method:

• Editing your Vita's "app.db"

In this step, we will take a look at modifying an important file in our Vita's system - app.db! It is a file which manages home menu "bubbles", executable paths, and app icons.

The steps in this tutorial are also the same for the PSTV.

Stage 1:
      Stage 2:
      Stage 3:

• TN-V and VHBL Setup

In this tutorial, I will show you how to Replace a PSP game with either TN-V or VHBL.
      You WILL need a downloaded and fully working PSP basegame to use this.
      You will also need QCMA: Download

TN-V is suited more to play PSP [acronym=ISOs - Usually a disk image containing multiple files/directories. Mostly used for software piracy.]ISOs[/acronym].
      VHBL is suited more to play Homebrew.

The Method:

• PSM Dev for Unity Installation >=3.15 - Make your own PS Vita games!

In this tutorial, I will show you how to install [acronym=PSM - A late service for the PS Vita and Mobile Devices, which shut down in 2014 due to the Rejuvenate hack.]PSM[/acronym] Dev for [acronym=Unity - A 3D and 2D game engine which can be used to develop for a range of Platforms!]Unity[/acronym] for firmwares 3.15-3.51. Dev Assistant for Unity can allow you to develop for, and utilize, PS Vita hardware!

If you are using a PSTV, you can only set up VitaDefilerClient (for Rejuvenate) since you can't link your PSTV to a PC using a USB cable. The method for the 1.05/1.06 update installation is different, too.

Installing the Unity Dev Assistant:
      Updating PSM Dev for Unity for your firmware
      PSM Dev for Unity Licensing

• Activation of a lower FW Vita

This tutorial will guide you to activating your Vita via the use of a PS3 and USB cable, to be able to play PSP games and content. This is also useful for if you don't have PSN access from your Vita, and are wanting to download a PSP demo* specifically to set up Adrenaline/TN-V.
      *(LocoRoco Midnight Carnival (USA) and Ape Quest Starter Pack (EUR) are 2 demos you can download from the PS Store for use during eCFW setup)

Note that this method doesn't work for PSTV users since it involves using a USB cable to plug in to the PS3.
      The Method:

• Fully Dumping your Vita's Memory Card (All of the ux0: Partition)

In this tutorial, we will take a look at making a full dump of your Vita's memory card. That means you will be dumping the entire ux0: partition, so not only will you make a dump of your pspemu part of the memcard, you will be dumping encrypted vita apps and their metadata, and a lot of other configuration files and extras!

Also, this guide assumes you are on any firmware up to 3.52. Any higher firmware version this guide doesn't support at the moment.

So without further ado, on to the tutorial!
      The Method:

• Various Vita Registry hacks!

In this tutorial, we will look at applying different registry hacks to your Vita. This includes swapping your Vita's X/O button assignment (doesn't affect games though), faking the Vita's region, and reading out your PSN Login data. Credit to Hackinformer and Co. for these findings. :yay:

However, I am not responsible for any damage or System resets that may occur by doing this! Do at your own risk!

ALSO, DO NOT SHARE YOUR REGISTRY FILES WITH ANYONE, AS THEY CONTAIN YOUR PSN LOGIN DATA UNENCRYPTED!!

You will also need fixregvita from here.

How to Dump your Vita's Registry
      Swap X/O Button Assignment
      Fake the Vita's region
      Reading out your PSN Login details

• An Alternative Method to Dumping Files - The Calendar exploit! (Works from 3.00 to 3.55!)

If you are having a little bit of difficulty dumping files from your Vita using just the email app, there is another method that Mr.Gas found not too long back this year. It lets you create a new calendar event with a support_uri call to dump the file, and then can be emailed, which in turn, dumps the desired file into the email.

Another benefit of this method is that it works not just on firmwares 3.00-3.52, but also 3.55 as well! (but not 3.57 or higher, as it got swiftly patched by Sony!)

The Method:

FAQ:

(This FAQ is still a work-in-progress...)
    FAQ:

Last edited by Voxel, Jul 2, 2018 - Reason: Updated for H-Encore. Also removed lots of unecessary information now.
    Keizel, Anonymous456, RayD97 and 34 others like this.
  2. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    -Reserved for any other miscellaneous tutorials that may arise in the future.-

Last edited by Voxel, Dec 30, 2016
  3. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Very cool man. I will wait for the rejuvenate version. I have it but without a larger memory I'm waiting.

Voxel likes this.
  4. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I will think about writing a tutorial on Rejuvenate. :)
    I will also write a tutorial for PSM Dev for Unity, so you can learn to make your own games! :D

Edit: I have now finished the PSM Dev assistant for Unity tutorial!

Last edited by Voxel, Nov 15, 2015
    shaams007 likes this.
  5. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS
    So like as a noob, can I play PSP ISO's by doing this?

Voxel likes this.
  6. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yes, you can. I'll add this to my tuto right away!

7. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS
    Ok, thanks. Let's say I want to update my vita, can all this be reverted? Also, how do I get the PSP game on my vita if I am on a lower version, I can't access the store.

8. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Add a FAQ pls. By FAQ I mean something like
    Q: Can I have vita games on my vita yet?
    A: Nope. Just PSP ones.

9. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    On it!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah, that's also something I need to clarify. Unless Vita Update Blocker works again, you can't enter the PS Store for now.

10. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Updated - Added 3 Tricks you can do with your Vita as a little extra something. :)

11. RazorX2014

RazorX2014 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 18, 2014
    you dont need to install thunderbird or use writer.eml, my Vita Email Hacker will do all that for you including sending the package installer email too you its under presets.

for part 1 it can simply be click settings and enter your email details then click save now click upload then browse and select the mail.db file and click send email

Last edited by RazorX2014, Nov 14, 2015
    KarasLegion likes this.
  12. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info! I'll make sure to add that! :)

13. RazorX2014

Mar 18, 2014
    i further edited my comment

14. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I noticed. ;)

Last edited by Voxel, Nov 14, 2015
  15. RazorX2014

Mar 18, 2014
    guide updated

Voxel likes this.
  16. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, Razor! :)

17. RazorX2014

Mar 18, 2014
    no problem man as you notice you can use my app for all the steps now pretty much lol but thats what i made it for

Voxel likes this.
  18. RazorX2014

Mar 18, 2014
    i didnt do a direct link for my app because i would have to change it everytime i update which i just did by the way lol its now v1.1.0

Voxel likes this.
  19. Voxel
    OP

Voxel ಠ_ಠ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, I decided not to do that as well, lol. ;)

20. RazorX2014

Mar 18, 2014
    lol theres always something to tweak

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice