How to update to 5.1 without getting banned

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by waterboy92, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    No, at this point in time a "card could not be read" error is shown instead.

I'm not sure if you can update in SX OS, but I would recommend updating in OFW. Once updated and AutoRCM is set up again, you boot into the SX OS menu and if a future system update is available, you launch OFW from their launcher again. You just have to remember that you MUST enter RCM manually after every system update due to its removal.

2. atrocious123

atrocious123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Wow, this is great and much less simpler than the other upgrading method. So far i have a Switch on 4.1.0 which is clean (No homebrew or NAND backup) and would like to do the same as you. However, my SD card is currently formatted as exFAT and thus can't be used on my switch, can i just confirm that what i will proceed to do now is correct?

1. Change 200GB SD card to FAT32 format (i don't even think it's possible, can anyone help?) or should i just use a 64gb SD card to set up first and copy paste the files over to the 200gb once i have everything set up?
    2. use hekate and backup my NAND as per quantumboy instructions
    3. follow through with the rest, saw the video with the updating, once it starts with the pop up, i should hold the volume up button.
    4. install SX OS and install autoRCM (if i have not activated SX OS, can i still get auto RCM to work?)

Can i know the limitations of using this way to upgrade my firmware? I can no longer boot into the OFW? Thanks for the help everyone

Edit: would also like to know if i remove SD card, will the switch boot into OFW after i power on the NS?

Last edited by atrocious123, Jul 12, 2018
  3. Izotov

Izotov Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    Ukraine
    Method working. But what the heck is not said, in the autorcm when the cable is connected to the PC, the horizon is auto loaded. At first everything was ok, 3 burned fuses. But later did not have time to pinch + and send the payload as the horizon started, and -6 fuses

4. CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Let this be a warning to anyone else... follow the guide or risk burning your fuses. It seems like a huge pain, but it's better than blowing your fuses over something as simple as not holding the volume button in time.

5. Jordan9716

Jordan9716 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2015
    United States
    I gotta say this is a great discovery! That said I have a few questions, for step 7 does that mean boot custom firmware? What's Fcfw mean? Also is it possible to boot original FW using this method to update games? If not, how would one go about updating games and using online? Would they just have to do it through SX OS and risk getting banned? Thanks for the help in advance.

6. dragon926

dragon926 Newbie

Newcomer
    Saturday
    Australia
    Just a typo for cfw I think. I'm interested in the answers for your other questions too. Any tried before?

7. mooglazer

mooglazer GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Circling back to recommend you just do the rajkosto guide. It's really straightforward and took me about 30 minutes. Running 5.1.0 now.

Milenko likes this.
  8. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Thank you for this I've been waiting for someone brave enough to try this. I will still not do it however since the cart fw gets updated also. That was not an issue for you.

Any reason one can't just hold the VOL+ button the whole time instead of trying to it at the last minute. You know, for peace of mind. I'd clamp the thing down.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Jul 15, 2018 at 5:31 AM
  9. atrocious123

atrocious123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    I've tried this shortcut method and it works. I believe step 7 means CFW.

I've updated from 4.1 to 5.1 using this method (eFuse burnt 5 - checked using briccmmii) got my exFAT sd card working as well. Selected boot OFW from sx os and updated my official game cart, have not tried updating my xci files .

Not sure about the clamping part but I guess it would work. I held it when it says updating, do note that I almost screwed up and got an orange screen of death (when i selected boot via OFW) during the process of updating I forgot to include boot.dat in my SD card and sx os did not launch.. restarted and all was fine (luckily for me)

You can take this risk if you have SX Pro and don't mind accidentally upgrading to 5.1 I guess.

EDIT: Pls backup your NAND before you attempt anything!

Last edited by atrocious123, Jul 15, 2018 at 6:14 AM
  10. mohalz

mohalz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Saudi Arabia
    what if i deleted all the system mommy (reset the system). and than updated and after the update i reinstall the sx os would that also be a risk ?

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Full system formats don't actually remove everything, especially traces of hacking that could lead to a ban.

mohalz likes this.
  12. mohalz

mohalz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Saudi Arabia
    so nintendo is always a step ahead of us

13. AmienZero

AmienZero Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    just to say i followed this method just now on my 4.0.1 switch and it works great. i didn't have to press vol+ from the start instead when the update is done and the switch will reboot in 3 seconds i quickly press vol+ and it boots me to sxOS menu. from there i installed autoRCM and booted to OFW to check f/w version (5.1.0). rebooted to sxOS and load briccmiiv2 payload and efuses count still 5. thanks @quantumboy for the tutorial and @Draxzelex for pointing me to this tutorial. next step, nand 5.1.0 backup.

quantumboy likes this.
  14. mohalz

mohalz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Saudi Arabia
    how long did it take you to finsh the whole proccess, im a noob just like you and i wanna know how long would it take a noob to get that done

15. AmienZero

AmienZero Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    depending on your internet connection, i'd say 5-20 minutes max? i finished mine in 10 minutes.

16. mohalz

mohalz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2018
    Saudi Arabia
    im gonna need it later on in life now im already on 5.1.0

17. Jordan9716

Jordan9716 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2015
    United States
    I really want to follow this guide now, but my last question is doesn't autorcm mess up your battery? Like to the point you can't even really turn it off, it'll just constantly be in RCM mode?

18. 460cidpower

460cidpower Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    United States
    Is there a way to do this update method completely off line? I don't plan on ever connecting the wifi.

19. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
  20. 460cidpower

460cidpower Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    United States
  21. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Updating from a legit cartridge is the same process as updating from the Switch; they will both cause the Switch to reboot to try and burn the fuses. If you want to update from a cart as safely as possible, follow quantumboy's procedure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice