How you clear your mind at night?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jt_1258, Jun 10, 2018.

1. jt_1258
    OP

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I'm leaving this as more of an open ended thread that people drop in their own ways of handling it but I am kinda curious as to how others handle this.

How do you clear your mind as you wind down to rest for the next day?

More an more of lately at the time of posting I've been having issues with my mind simply being in a never ending rush of thought. This of course makes it an absolute nightmare to try and fall asleep at night and so it has lead me here to inquire on how the rest of those on the forum handle this.

2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I lay on my couch and listen to the chilledcow youtube live station for lofi hip hop. I just chill on my phone (lowest brightness) in the dark with the music for 30 minutes.
    Once I get in bed I either keep chilledcow on low volume or play various calming video game music like Piranah Plant Lullaby or Dire Dire Docks from Mario 64.

3. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Luminary of Illustrious Colors

GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, music can definitely be a good way to wind down. So can reading. If I can't fall asleep immediately for some reason, I'll usually do some activity until I'm tired enough to get some shut-eye. Often, I'll also just daydream in bed until I slip into sleep.

That's regular nights, though. I know it can be hell trying to wind down when there's something pressing on your mind. In instances like those, I usually just end up unable to sleep until I reach an absolute extreme and conk out. Those nights suck.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    [​IMG]
    Evil always finds the way

CallmeBerto and Alkéryn like this.
  5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Smoke weed and listen to music. Sometimes, I’ll play a few cups of mario kart7 on my 2ds xl. Tonight though, I took apart my fking Psp for the enth time.

6. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I did a shell swap on one of my psp units the other day, and I did an lcd replacement on another yesterday. Still have to completely disassemble 2 units to shell swap, and during that replace broken parts.
    Afterward I'll have all 3 versions of the PSP in fully refurbished and restored condition.

7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    What was wrong with the screen? I can’t seem to fix my Psp and I’m not sure what is wrong with it.

8. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The screen had water damage, causing the back light to have dim spots and light the screen unevenly. Just pulled it out and replaced with a new one.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I blow my load and pass the fuck out. <3

10. DrGreed

DrGreed Luigi from Luigi's Mansion

Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    Usually I watch Netflix until I fall asleep. Also sometimes I like to take some Nyquil and fight the drowsiness until I can't no more.

11. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    A good way for me to unwind my brain is to read manga and comics. It's nice to just drop all present worries, concerns, and other miscellaneous bits, and just follow through with a story once and a while. Besides, comics are a silent medium, so you're not distracted by pacing, the soundtrack, or other more immediate stimuli as you would in a movie or anime.

Another way for me to relax is to listen to music, though recently, I've found white noise works just as well.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Why would I want to clear my mind?

Last thing at night I usually watch long form videos about anything really -- sometimes it is machining, sometimes it is computing, sometimes hacker conferences, sometimes geography/demographics/how the world works, sometimes law, sometimes high concept science and sci fi discussions...
    Best to turn autoplay off in case you do fall asleep though.

uiaad likes this.
  13. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Lately I've been so tired I've been falling asleep before I even reach the bed, but back when I had this problem I would read until I passed out. That or close my eyes and listen to cartoons. It's the reason I know the entire run of Harvey Birdman by heart. And I regret nothing!

14. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    there was a guy here who wanted to stick his dick in a vacuum cleaner to simulate a bj. maybe you can try that at night LOL

CallmeBerto likes this.
  15. emigre

emigre An electric type pokemons

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    Sleeping pills, unfortunately.

16. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Personally, I'm CONSTANTLY thinking about things, so can't really help you (I'm LITERALLY actively thinking while asleep, really helps problem solving when not enough time to do them separately). However, if I really need to just empty my brain, I'll either fill it up with thoughts to tire it out enough to get drowsy or I'll try to tire my body out instead with a bit of exercise (a few push ups). If you try to rest when you feel a bit tired, it's easier to fall asleep, just don't overdo it because overexertion can give you SERIOUS insomnia. Also, avoid sleeping out of schedule or you will have increasingly more difficulty falling asleep. If you can make it so you always go to bed at same time every day and get up at same time too, you won't need to empty your mind or anything to fall asleep.

But then again, sleep is for the weak, so why bother?:P

Leave the EoF in the EoF, don't want vacuum bjs here or things could get ugly, like dozing off from blood loss after your dick is sucked clean off:rofl2:

CallmeBerto and gameboy like this.
  17. smileyhead

smileyhead Press Start whenever!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I browse YouTube or watch anime until I become sleepy enough, then, if I can't fall asleep, I concentrate on the clock's ticking.

ThoD likes this.
  18. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I actually sometimes concentrate on my stupid tap dripping (too lazy to fix it) instead of clock because it has about the same intervals (plus don't have a clock), although sometimes it just feels like Japanese torture:rofl2:

19. smileyhead

smileyhead Press Start whenever!

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Heretic!

20. Lia

Lia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    Lia is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I concentrate on breathing in through my nose, and out through my mouth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice