How'd You Hear About GBATemp?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Matthe815, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Matthe815
    OP

Matthe815 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2018
    United States
    Virginia, USA
    Hello Everyone!

I haven't been here long, but I would like to know how you folk learned about GBATemp!
    Though a friend? Through Google? Through some random conversation that you overheard on the street?
    I would really like to know!

For the sake of this question, I heard about this place from @bennyman123abc.

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    I was reading reviews for Pokemon and read one on GBATemp and wanted to comment

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I used to browse the site years ago to read about DS flashcards and wii hacking (2009?).

I made an account after I bought my first wiiu in 2014.

It wasn't until I made an account that I realized this site is more than just hacking - and is actually a community. Sometimes I wish I had looked into it more in highschool when I first visited the site.

My older bro has been browsing the site for year though. I remember him talking about scene releases when I was younger. He won't tell me his account name tho ;A;

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I used to roam around a bit on Pokecommunity for their Pokemon romhacks back in 2007 or so. Of course romhacks were also on GBAtemp so I'd find links to the site from time to time. I didn't really find a need to register, though. Eventually I stopped playing romhacks, and stopped lurking.

Then, I learned that you could do this magic thing called "softmodding" which let your consoles play emulators. So I was reading a Kotaku article on how to hack the Xbox, and it sourced back to GBAtemp. Lurked again in 2010.

The next two years I had no internet at all, so I stopped coming to the site, again. But when I finally did get internet again, I saw things about DS flashcarts and letterbomb and such, and finally made an account.

NutymcNuty, DarthDub, sks316 and 2 others like this.
  5. sks316

sks316 Rainbow Dash is best pony

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Ponyville
    I originally learned about it when the Sm4sh modding scene was starting to take off, and I watched some videos by SonicBrawler that had links to the site. Then, fast forward some time and I learned about TubeHax and 3DS softmodding, and how you could apply custom themes to your 3DS. So, I made an account to ask if someone could make a theme for me, and I guess I just became part of the community. (I never did get my request fulfilled...)

Last edited by sks316, Apr 26, 2018
  6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Tom BombaDadlo

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Was looking into those sweet Wii h4x0rz back in 2008 when the Twilight Hack first released. Lurked for about a year, until I came across some Wii games that had issues so I joined and made a thread about it.

Hard to believe it's already been essentially 10 years since I've been around GBATemp :lol:

Matthe815 likes this.
  7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I think I stumbled across it looking for GBA flashcart reviews when I was deciding what to buy.

8. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    "How to hack wii"
    "How to install hombrew"
    "Dios Mios Lite isn't working"
    Literally Joined after google searching these three topics back in 2012

9. emiicfilms

emiicfilms Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    United States
    googled on how to get that usb reader thing on the wii, found this site and it was pretty neat

10. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
    Read about it in a random gaming magazine years ago.

11. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Wait, really? What gaming magazine? I didn't know gbatemp got into those :O

12. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
    Idk. This was about 2013. I'd love to figure it out again tho!

x65943 likes this.
  13. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wow, I don't even remember anymore. I just remember being forced to make an account by the mods to view the site, after years of lurking.

14. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    Around the end of 2008. when first soft mods for the Wii appeared in the wild, the best tutorials were here. :) Since then I was aware of the site, but would rarely lurk. After I got 3DS in 2011, I was hyped about hacking it so I thought "Why not join the community?". Soon I started to visit the website on a daily basis to check if there's anything new about 3DS hacks. Magically, one day it finally happened. :rofl2: I wasn't excited like that in a while, I can still feel that emptiness and boredom with my 3DS before it. :mellow: It seems like it wasn't that long ago, but 6 years man... So yeah, GBATemp kind of grew on me and it's my first choice now to get all the relevant gaming news, both hacking related and the industry ones. I used to visit Kotaku every day, until it became a real drag from all the weight of information that I couldn't keep track of anymore. I get here everything that I need.

Chary likes this.
  15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Melodramatic fool

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I actually found the Temp after buying a Games n' Music from Wal-Mart and I was looking to play DS games on it. To no shock to anyone, you can't and I bought an M3 Real for my DS ROMs

sks316 and x65943 like this.
  16. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Really nice question! I think i got linked to GBATemp from filedropper or wahtever GBATemp's file upload service is. I was downloading themes for my R4 card.

Matthe815 and x65943 like this.
  17. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N can't think of anything creative to put here

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Was really big into 3DS Hacking a few years ago, and made an account with the hopes that I'd be releasing small little Homebrew applications. While I have made a few releases over the years, which include a simple text file reader to serve as a warning for anyone who might pick up your 3DS, a comic reader I never quite finished, a payload swapper for Boot9Strap payloads, and, of course, the infamous FidgetSpinner3DS, this didn't really take off as well as I would've liked. While working on these homebrew apps, I learned quite a bit about C and C++, however, never to quite the level of real 3DS Scene Devs.

For quite a while, I was a regular on The Edge of the Forum (for those who don't know, it's a section on the site dedicated to shitposting). It got bad. Real bad. Once I saw that I was had posted in 5 different EoF threads within a span of minutes, I knew that I had to do something to fix it. After some time away from the site, I returned, and I'd like to think I've gotten better since, posting in the gaming and general discussion forums more often. I would call myself a "reformed shitposter," but honestly, that's being too kind.

18. Nisem0n0

Nisem0n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    Through google for me. I remember that I wanted to softmod my ps2 when FMCB came out and stumbled across a gbatemp thread. So it's been awhile, but I don't remember what email I used back then so just made a new account in the end. I still have the ps2 and the first memory card I put FMCB on!

19. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I have no clue, lurked around for years before signing up.

20. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I break all the warranties

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    I think the first time I saw it, I was with my brother, hacking his Psp.

I found it really when I was hacking our old wii

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice