How'd You Hear About GBATemp?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Matthe815, Apr 25, 2018.

1. VinsCool

VinsCool Neges Singula

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I only was lurking for years, most of the times linked from French forums, for homebrew releases and hacking topics.
    One day, the Nintendont project was announced, then I started to slowly browse the site more and more, eager to try the first alpha of it.
    Bam, it releases in November 2013, and I was amazed to be able to run (very poorly) Wind Waker off my SD card, using a PS3 controler.

This eventually made me look at GBAtemp more and more, especially the Nintendont thread, that I was the most active into during my first year in here.
    One day of January 2014, I finally signed up, then started to participate. First almost exclusively in the Nintendont thread, afterward, a bit of anything over the entire community.
    This made me keep coming back days after days, and I slowly forged my place in here, and I'm still very happy to come in here everyday, after 4 years.

Last edited by VinsCool, Apr 26, 2018
  2. Titanica

Titanica As insane as a Seventh Grader!!!!:!!1244135

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    Earth
    It all began when I searched up, "How to hack Wii U"

3. sephurchin

sephurchin GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2015
    United States
    World V
    Started with lookin for hacking tools and translations. I've been here ever sense

4. MaD_mAnIaC

MaD_mAnIaC In a mad world, only the mad are sane

Oct 24, 2002
    Portugal
    I remember buying a gb gamejack and a 16mb cart for my gbc in 2000 or so, importing a gba from japan in 2001 and buying a flash2advance as soon as they got released... as far as i remember i found gbatemp because it was one of the few places where you could talk to people owning the same stuff, and i think i used to come here a lot to get ips patches too. nostalgic stuff lol :D

Last edited by MaD_mAnIaC, Apr 26, 2018
    Chary likes this.
  5. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    I was originally led here by GodMode9, actually before I had my 3DS hacked. I liked the site, and soon after I registered to ask how to get my 3DS hacked. Thanks @vb_encryption_vb =)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh yeah, that garbage homebrew app that got onto TitleDB! I actually tried it because I thought "fuck it, let's try it" and it's actually not even a very good program.

vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  6. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    mushroom kingdom
    I found out about it in January 2017 when i was looking for a way to hack my 2ds. I asked a question about it and just never left

sks316 likes this.
  7. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    The GBA came out, carts were able to be dumped, and this site appeared. I joined.

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    ProjectPokemon. Someone linked to this in a thread there, that's it.

9. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Googling Wii hacking back around 2010/2011? Wish I had joined back then.

10. supergamer368

supergamer368 good at something

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    Wanted 3DS/Wii homebrew stuff and this websote kept coming up. Seemed like the people here were nice enough, so decided to join. But boy was i wrong /s

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I've read about it from KiVan, from a random ROM hosting website's tagboard/shoutbox, before it even existed :P
    common ROM websites had only old releases, so KiVan said he will make his own repository with latest always up to date dumps.

Last edited by Cyan, Apr 27, 2018
    Matthe815 and LittleFlame like this.
  12. PriMieon

PriMieon GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    PriMieon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2010
    Germany
    littleroot town
    It started with the Wii hacking scene and Flash cards. I just love this site

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While there was more "competition" in the GBA era GBAtemp was even then the pre-eminent one and most searches for things to do with it would wind me back up here.

I was not really into commenting on the internet back then though so I mostly skimmed it, or indeed the last ?? posts on the front page, whenever I got linked during a search.

Later most searches landed here so I started keeping up with things, around the same sort of time as I started doing the posting on the internet thing.

The day I signed up was a day of high traffic or something and was made mandatory to view. I still wonder if I was the first after that as it was almost a "press refresh and oh" thing. It would however be some time before I started to post in earnest here. The DS was already a thing by this point and it eventually started all that I liked from the GBA, except better still, so I stuck around for that. The 3ds was a bit of a wet fart and the switch is shaping up to be the same but there is still enough going on that I stick around.

14. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I came across this place when I was modding my wii.

15. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I lurked around a good while before signing up, was over on the IRC server back when the site and the server was more... dubious. I think I came across it from an internet search (not sure if it was Google at that time ;) ) or if it was from other IRC servers.

16. Owenge

Owenge General trash

Feb 13, 2017
    United States
    The Void
    3DS Hacking and Homebrew

17. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I was reading up on the GBA Movie Player V2 and stumbled upon the Temp. I lurked for a bit, and when they included the mandatory registration to view threads, I registered, and here I am.

18. Monochrover

Monochrover Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2018
    United States
    I don't know if it counts, but looking up hacks and seeing "taraftartekstil.com..." probably helped.

19. leerpsp

leerpsp GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2014
    United States
    I really don't remember but i'm happy I found it and here.

20. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I believe I came here from the Supercard forums since GBAtemp had a lot more content that wasn't just specific to the Supercard products.

sks316 and DarthDub like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice