Is it possibleto buy the NAND chips found in phones straight from the manufactuer

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Dominator211, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    Title says it all... am in deeply interested in the process of swapping the internal NAND of a iPhone. I am just curious if it is possible to buy these chips direct from the manufacturer instead of waiting for them to come from a little shop in China.

2. Roxie Mika

Roxie Mika Huh? Who, me?

Mar 14, 2015
    United States
    Chicago, IL
    One, most of the chip manufacturers' factories and storage facilities are located in east/southeast Asia anyway, so shipping would be just the same direct from manufacturers as it is from sites like Alibaba/Aliexpress or Banggood.
    Two, and this is more pertinent, is that purchasing from manufacturers directly would require you to be purchasing large bulk amounts of chips. You can't just buy 5 or 10, you have to buy hundreds, if not thousands, for them to even want to bother with your business.
    Purchasing from a middleman like Alibaba is basically your only reasonable path as an individual, unless you plan to be tinkering with upgrading literal thousands of iPhone NANDs and have the capital to match.

3. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    well that literally answers my question very well... I guess id be swimming in storage!!!

Roxie Mika likes this.
  4. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Almost all electronic products are manufactured on Asia (China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and so on). The "original" rebranded manufacturer, would not sell a single piece, it is interested on selling millions of pieces instead.

Roxie Mika likes this.
  5. Kyuuketsuki

Kyuuketsuki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Seinan Eikoku
    I've seen chips from time to time on eBay along with the programmers.

Some of the tools I've seen on eBay are similar to that of which Strange Parts, on YouTube purchased to write memory chips on his Strange Parts iPhone. But as for the NAND, I do believe your best bet if you didn't want to wait for China, is to purchase some dead iPhone's and endure your own chip extraction process (maybe even build a working phone from multiple broken ones). B-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice