Meet The Xbox Adaptive Controller, Microsoft's Controller For Gamers With Limited Mobility

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, May 17, 2018.

1. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    I hope when it does, you can size those breast to any size you like :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

On Topic:

Great news, Way to go MS, more should follow this

2. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    What a price tag for a device that has so little.

At least it is USB Type-C I suppose.

3. blubber987

blubber987 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    in your basement
    Disabled people will finally be able to play video game consoles for once.

4. phreaksho

phreaksho Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    Post falls idaho
    Definitly a step in the right directions. I know some people that would probably faint at the fact that they were actually able to control mario at some point. I also like the security in thinking if I ever have to sacrifice my hands (God forbid) I could still game:toot:

x65943 likes this.
  5. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Silverthorn likes this.
  6. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    keep it up microsoft proud of u

7. samcambolt270

samcambolt270 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    This looks great. since my right hands usefulness has slowly been deteriorating from psoriatic arthritis, I can see this becoming a useful tool in the future(well, that's if I can use it on a pc like a notmal xbox controller someday).

Last edited by samcambolt270, May 17, 2018
  8. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    WhiteMaze is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 16, 2013
    Portugal
    I'm 95% sure I'm going to hell for saying this, but it looks like a digital drums kit.

But seriously kudos. Everyone should be able to play games.

9. SirBeethoven

SirBeethoven Do good, be good. Let's fight injustice together.

Nov 26, 2015
    United States
    Nintendo and Sony and Steam better add support for this. And maybe the smart phone companies.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    I wonder if this will be compatible with the switch through the Mayflash adapter since regular xbox1 controllers work with it. It would open up a lot of doors for people to play games like zelda

11. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    That's so cool! Somebody needs to make a regular controller but it has all those plugs for the back, so then you can plug buttons into sockets for different buttons and one button triggers another, it can be a challenge or allow vastly more customization.

12. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official lewd axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Doubt it. It even says that you need an xbox app to configure the buttons layout.

13. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Never said uncompetitive or anything like that. It just bugs me a little because it feels almost like they are taking advantage of a demographic you know? I'm sure they could drop the price some if they really wanted, then you also need to get the buttons and stuff. Just bugs me some.

14. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    They probably couldn't drop the price too much, it isn't just generic parts like an iPhone has

15. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Microsoft may really have dropped the ball when it comes to system selling exclusive titles, but I do really have to give them credit on all the functions, features, and accessibility they've poured into the Xbox One since its release. This adaptive controller news definitely stands as a part of all of that.

16. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    This is nice. If only Xbox had any games to make it worth it.

To be honest, I would like to see a tablet device for folks since youtube lets plays effectively allow people to play games vicariously via watching (besides games in which the experience can be different each play, such as open sandbox, competitive games,etc).

There was a recent Wired article which spoke of nursing homes using the Wii with residents (i've seen it at my last internship; they play Wii Bowling via Wii Sports). There was also a side page describing a tablet that allows for communication (basically calls and texting), large colored buttons, physical attachments (digital interactions don't make sense to residents), and a note pad. Possibly more.

I like the idea of gaming being open to more people. There are a lot of people in nursing homes who do absolutely nothing in their rooms besides stare out the window or watch TV. Some cannot take part in activities due to their disabilities. This is a step in the right direction.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Right now this seems the only way for handicapped people to play AC Origins, Shadow of War, Monster Hunter World, Wolfenstein 2 and almost every relevant triple A release in the last 12 months, and the only way they can hope to play Kingdom Hearts 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Divinity 2 later in this year, but I guess none of these are games when you hate on a console?

18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd have to assume that since this is an XBox peripheral it would work on a Windows PC as well, but I understand what you're saying

19. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Insert joke on number of jacks of this product vs iPhone

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I thank MS for my new cheating device. Far easier to mess with than having to solder a breakout board and my own inputs.

Prans likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice