My Computer weirdly "laggs" when trying to print in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Der_Blockbuster, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Der_Blockbuster
    OP

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    So, I can't say when this startet (definetly a while ago), my Pc started to do some weird things.
    Im not a newbie with pc's and I often manage to find the problem by myself, but this time, I have absolutely no clue where to pin point this.
    Everytime, I hit STRG+P in Photoshop, my WHOLE PC (sound, voice output in Discord (my friends always get annoyed by my laggy voice, rgb light on keyboard, mouse etc.) starts to lag like Crazy, and have like 5fps, even my RGB Keyboard starts to lagg the same as the screen.
    After 3min, the Print window shows up, and everything works again...
    When I finally click on print, it laggs again for about 20 sec and works again.

So you might think, it has to be a problem with Photoshop...but no, this also occurs when I start League of Legend for example (when the launcher for a game starts (loadingscreen)).
    This does not happen otherwise, mostly when starting a application which is heavy on resources (but this kinda contradicts with the printing thing)
    I tried to trace it down, and opened Taskmanager to see if something spikes to 100% usage, but no...everything looks normal.
    Cpu temp and GPU ~50-60 Degree Celsius
    CPU load when it occurs: 20-30%
    RAM: 13%
    GPU: 0-5%

I ran Prime95 but nothing happened, no lag whatsoever.
    Setup: AMD FX 8350
    AMD Radeon R9 [email protected]
    Corsair K95 Keyboard
    22GB Ram.

Latest Windows Updates...
    Idk whats the problem.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Printing is a fairly intense thing, especially for graphics work (for text it might fall under postscript, or primarily fall under that, but graphics will be having to be broken down into individual channels and pixels). Likewise if you have silly lights on your mouse and keyboard that likely comes from the USB which is also CPU intensive.
    Have you installed a new printer or anything? Or set another as a default (Windows 10 can be odd for this).

Just a check but " CPU load when it occurs: 20-30%"
    If you have a fancy many core processor then some CPU monitors will condense all the cores into one percentage value. If it lands on the same core as the underlying OS then yeah.

On Prime95 what did you set the priority to? Some of the stock settings will do lower priority.

3. Der_Blockbuster
    OP

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Well the silly light only occur at the same moment, the whole computer gets choppy literally everything.
    So I've took a look @All cores when this happened, but no core was on 100 or over 30%.
    I can't change the priority of Prime95 in Taskmgr...
    hmm this really pisses me off, I might install a second windows and take a look if I get the same problems.
    Thanks for your help tho, do you might have a clue what I could try next?

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    What’s your disk usage at the time it happens? Also, do you have a SSD as your main drive or a HDD?

Edit: system slowdowns like this usually come from either CPU thrashing or drive thrashing.

5. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Whenever i open the print window in photoshop it takes a long time to open. Photoshop's just weird like that. PC's a bit slower too but not as bad as yours.

6. Der_Blockbuster
    OP

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Disk usage was also normal...thanks for the help.
    I just formatted the drive completely and installed windows again.
    Also installed photoshop, and tada, instantly opens up the print page, no delay whatsoever.
    In the recent time, even when just watching a Video these laggs occured, well not anymore.

Thanks for the help anyway!

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Just to mention, if this happens again, there are a couple command line tools you can try, the main one being “sfc /scannow”. If there’s a system file that’s corrupt or not functioning properly, this tool would detect and automatically fix it.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, I thought Windows cruft buildup was more or less kicked in the head with 7. Or at least the same users that I would routinely reinstall XP for never had a problem with 7 and they did not do much of anything different during that time.

Guess I will add it back to the flow chart.

Der_Blockbuster likes this.
  9. Johnton

Johnton Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    Probably's Windows fault.
    I've had issues too since this last April's update.

I'm considering to change from Windows 10 to Windows 7.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice