Nintendo Switch Banning Hub

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Draxzelex, Jun 24, 2018.

?

Remove SX OS Version/eShop in non-TX CFW/Homebrew?

This poll will close on Jul 26, 2018 at 2:07 AM.
  1. Remove both

33.3%
  2. Remove asking for SX OS Version only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Remove asking whether people accessed the eShop in non-TX CFW/Homebrew only

13.3%
  4. Remove neither

53.3%
  1. Draxzelex
    OP

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    DISCLAIMERS
    • Only contribute if you have made any modifications to your Switch that are not approved by Nintendo. Do NOT submit a report if you have not modified your Switch in any way possible. That is because such a case has a or close to 0% chance of being banned which will skew the data.
    • Any and all unauthorized modifications to your Nintendo Switch can result in a ban. Do NOT assume that just because someone has not been banned for certain actions that you will be safe yourself. If you do not want to be banned, either do not make any unauthorized modifications or connect your system online.

Semi-Official Nintendo Switch Ban Form

Ban? Y/N
    If Yes, provide proof (video preferred)
    SX used? Y/N
    SX used while online? Y/N
    Did you play any .XCI files online with a certificate/header? Y/N
    Do you have a certificate/header ban (look for error code 2124-4025)? Y/N
    Lowest SX Version used when Online/Offline (NOT Switch System Firmware)? X.X/N
    Non-TX Layered FS Used? Y/N
    Non-TX Layered FS Used while online? Y/N
    Played online w/ Non-TX Layered FS Injects? Y/N

Used DevMenu? Y/N
    Installed any .NSP? Y/N
    Did you go online w/ any .NSP installed? Y/N
    Did you play any .NSP installed online? Y/N
    CDN Downloading? Y/N
    Backups updated? CFW/OFW/Both/N
    Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used? Y/N (Specify homebrew used/crashes)
    Connect to Internet w/ homebrew/non-TX CFW? Y/N
    Connect to eShop while using CFW/homebrew? Y/N
    AutoRCM? TX/Hekate/Both/N
    Did you update your firmware without burning fuses? Y/N
    receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net blocked and/or "Don't Share Usage Information" ticked under "Other Settings"? Y/N

What firmware(s) were you on when you cleared error logs prior to going online? Y: X.X.X/N
    Disabled "Send Error Information" in System Settings? Y/N
    Wi-Fi settings deleted? Y/N
    Airplane mode? Y/N
    Auto-Update Software Enabled in System Settings? Y/N
    Can you use the eShop on the Switch? Y/N
    Can you use the eShop from a non-Switch device? Y/N

Console/Account Region(s)
    Trimmed .XCI? Y/N
    Additional Comments

Hello, GBATemp! Welcome to (yet another) thread about banned Switches!

"What makes yours more special than the others?"

I'm glad you asked, skeptical temper! This thread is dedicated towards compiling the actions of all Switch owners and comparing them to those who were banned and those who were not. I've also included some other neat bits of information such as detailing what each question means, the different types of bans, and analyzing what actions are more likely to get you banned (and why, if possible). Let's get started, shall we?

• This is where you will find information on how the data is compiled and put together as well as a link to the data in its rawest form (publicly). There is also a section on how the dataset can potentially be expanded given certain circumstances are met.
      The Actual Report
      Submissions through GBATemp
      Submissions through Gmail
      Expanding the Questionnaire

• Alright, by now you've probably glanced at the Christmas-colored spreadsheet and are wondering what everything means or want to submit a report of your own. I will explain what each of the columns represent as well as additional information for certain columns as needed.
      Remember the Dates
      Color Coordination
      Ban
      SX Used
      SX Online
      .XCI + Cert Online
      Cert Ban
      SX Version
      Non-TX LayeredFS
      Non-TX LayeredFS Online
      Played with Non-TX LayeredFS Online
      DevMenu
      NSP Install
      NSP Online
      Played with NSP Online
      CDN
      Updated Backups
      Homebrew/non-TX CFW Used
      Homebrew/non-TX CFW Online
      eShop in CFW/homebrew
      AutoRCM
      Fuse Mismatch
      GDPR Block
      Logs Cleared
      Disabled Error Reporting
      WiFi Deleted
      Airplane Mode
      Auto-Update Software
      eShop
      Non-Switch eShop
      Region
      Comments
      Proof
    • This section is merely for those who are curious about the different types of ban and wish to find out what type of ban(s) they have. This is not to be used to correlate which actions can lead to which type of ban as a lot of information is tied to games, consoles, and accounts.
      Certificate Bans
      Banned Nintendo Accounts
      Bans for Switch Consoles
    • So you just found out you were banned and you may be asking, what can I still do? There's actually plenty of things you can do depending on your ban type. Console bans are the most common type so assume I am referring to that in case it is not specified/clear.
      • Game and System updates can still be possible for the Switch's lifetime. Probably has something to do with directly affecting the user experience as well as ironing some bugs that you would otherwise be unable to fix if Nintendo stopped you from receiving them. Not to mention that if you accidentally delete a game update after installing it, that game will no longer work without the update.
      • Would you believe me if I told you could still buy/download stuff from the eShop? All you have to do is go to Nintendo's website, login with the Nintendo Account on your banned console, then proceed to acquired anything you would normally want. Turns out if you go to User/Profile (top left of the Home menu), go into "User Settings", then select "Update Download Progress", your console will begin downloading anything you just acquired from their website. Note: this only works so long as Nintendo has not restricted your Account from accessing their site meaning you don't have an account ban. These bans are rare so always perform this check to rule out the possibility.
      • You can try un-linking your Nintendo Account from your banned console. One user, by the name of VegaNovus, supposedly got Nintendo to un-link his account by telling Nintendo he cannot access his Switch at all. If you tell them your console is banned and you want to un-link, chances may not be as high as the former dialogue option. At any rate, this is only useful if your console only is banned; if your account is banned, then there is no point in un-linking it.
      • Based on the above, you can acquire new eShop titles after being banned and if you archive any of your installed titles, you can redownload them at any time without worrying about your ban status. But what happens if you accidentally delete any of your installed games? Unfortunately, the only workaround we have involves using eXhop, a homebrew app that works like eShop, to download those titles again. It bypasses the check if you are banned or not, but the titles will not work unless your account has legitimately purchased/downloaded them previously. While unprecedented, there is a possibility Nintendo may remove full CDN access to a banned console if it uses eXhop or any CDN downloader.
      • Online Play is a stretch because you would need a certificate ban only. Based on how certificate bans work, they restrict online access with that specific certificate. But if you were to try going online with a non-banned certificate (and your console/account are both not banned), it will work. Another thing to note is that since Nintendo banned that certificate, they can also ban your console as well as your account because they are associated with the certificate when you went online.
    • OK I may have been a bit harsh when it comes to adding new data points, but its not without good reason. New empty spots are created, may not be linked to a potential ban cause, or it provides little to no practical information. So this section will be filled with my and other people's ideas for potential unidentified causes for bans. That way, if you or someone you know is filling out the questionnaire and something doesn't add up, it might be worth consulting this section for something that was missed. Who knows, if enough people start reporting the same thing that leads to a ban, it can be officially added to the questionnaire!
      Trimmed .XCI
      Soldered Pin 10
      Method of Payload Delivery
      Online Cheating/Hacking
      SD card Recorded Errors
    • You will notice on the Google Doc Spreadsheet that there is a tab titled "Removed Categories". This is full of questions that used to be asked on the Semi-Official Report Form but were taken off due to various reasons. In an effort to not make the data collected completely null, it has been separated from the rest of the data so people can refer to it in the event that it may be prove useful in the future.
      Injected Cert using Layered FS

• The purpose of this thread is solely for the collection of information that may pertain to bans. Data for people who are not yet banned can still be collected to compare to those who are banned to rule out causes for bans.​
      • The purpose of this thread is NOT to speculate or defend potential reasons for bans. None of us (as far as I know) work for Nintendo so we cannot confirm who they ban, how they ban, or when they ban.​
      • All of the data collected in this thread is so far comprised of reports that originate from GBATemp, both from within this thread and anywhere else on the Switch sub-section. While I would love to collect data from outside, there are simply too many places to check. If you do see someone whose data is worth adding, either let me know or collect the data using the form and report it here.​
      • "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes​
      • May not be much of an incentive, but I promise to like any posts that contribute towards providing new information to this thread such as new categories, metadata for Nintendo Switch bans, or contributing new data. Grammatical/punctual mistakes may be pointed out but will be awarded based on my mood.​
      • Let us work together so we can stay one step ahead of Nintendo and leave casualties to a minimum!​

• CREDITS
      • @Frexxos :For being the first to write up a questionnaire to pinpoint possible causes
      • @SciresM :Write-ups on how Nintendo handles connections to their various online services
      • @Thog :Created nx-dreport
      • @Darien112 :Made an alternate Google Form for collecting data
      • @OhhSheetz :Contains a link to this place in his thread
      • @jjbredesen Publishing the thread on the new GDPR options for EUR Switch users
      • @CrisFTW :Suggesting to start asking people about whether or not they are cert banned preemptively
      • @tunip3 :Converting Reisyukaky's BogInstaller into eXhop
      • @PatrickD85 Discovering a way to download eShop content without eXhop
      • @VegaNovus :Came up with a way to trick Nintendo on how to un-link Nintendo Accounts from banned consoles
      • And of course each and every single person who not only contributes their information but supports this endeavor!

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM
    Agent_HV, CrisFTW, yanagi and 29 others like this.
  2. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    I really (really) think that anyone who's used layeredfs/TX OS are eventually going to get a ban.

3. WildWon
    This message by WildWon has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jun 26, 2018, Reason: Not an image board.
    Jun 24, 2018
  4. DolphinPussy

DolphinPussy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2014
    United States
    So are there people who've been banned PURELY by using SX OS? Being VERY specific and looking for people who never touched layeredfs.

5. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 I like Pokémon

Aug 26, 2009
    Costa Rica
    Yes. There have also been people banned by only CFW / homebrew and not LayeredFS nor SX.

6. hellrokr

hellrokr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    Wow, so no one banned just for using SX OS. Interesting..

7. Wiiunator

Wiiunator GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2015
    Australia
    good job mate. I'm looking for a common pattern in regards to the people who have been banned.. 30/30 people you have marked down as being banned have used home-brew offline, and 26 of them used Layered FS offline. Those are 2 big red flag for me, much more than any other parameter so far...

8. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Ah! This hacking feature (homebrew) has been so much overlooked lol!

9. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Using the SX OS offline may have something to do with that. most ppl banned regardless what they done were online

10. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    You know what's funny, some people here preached about piracy and how it will get you banned... but they created the tools for modding and cheating which they thought were not illegal - turns out that Nintendo hates them even more.

11. OhhSheetz

OhhSheetz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2015
    Canada
    If I may throw a suggestion your way, you should add payload delivery method as an option; Dongle, android phone, pc, raspberry pie.

Also, one note, you may want to bold the first 2 points, as people may only copy the bold section to fill out.

Last edited by OhhSheetz, Jun 24, 2018
    Draxzelex likes this.
  12. hybrid -x1

hybrid -x1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2009
    United States
    Layered FS though...damn.

13. Ty_

Ty_ GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    To update some of my own info:

Used any CDN Downloader: N
    Unchecked "Send Errors" in Menu: Y
    Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N (I did numerous times but probably forgot to recently)
    SX OS used offline: Y
    SX OS used online: Y
    Played with SX Backups online: N
    Layered FS Used offline: Y
    Layered FS Used online: N
    Played with Layered FS Injects online: N
    Homebrew Offline: Y
    Connect internet with homebrew: Y
    Connect to eShop during CFW: Y
    Played with Layered FS Injects with OwnCert.: N
    Does the Eshop work: N
    Backups updated: Y (CFW)
    WiFi settings deleted: N
    Airplane mode: Y
    AutoRCM: N
    SX OS Version used when Online: 1.0 & 1.1
    Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: Y

VinLark and Draxzelex like this.
  14. OhhSheetz

Oct 27, 2015
    Canada
    You forgot to mention if you're banned or not.

15. Rabita

Rabita Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2018
    Indonesia
    this should get pinned, out of all "banned thread" out there, this one is more useful for information n doesnt need to go through all these damn pages with drama when u only want to read whats the cause of bans

limitz, Kvac, Draxzelex and 4 others like this.
  16. Wiiunator

Wiiunator GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2015
    Australia
    Second that!

Draxzelex, lukhart and Rabita like this.
  17. OhhSheetz

Oct 27, 2015
    Canada
    what have you done...you are going to bring all the drama here now! :P

nah but all joking aside, this one really works a lot better. Kind of what I was doing with errors, except a step ahead.

Draxzelex, lukhart and Rabita like this.
  18. unknownpopo

unknownpopo Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2017
    Canada
    Banned: N
    Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N
    SX OS used offline: Y
    SX OS used online: Y
    Played with SX Backups online: Y
    Layered FS Used online: Y
    Played with Layered FS Injects online: Y
    Connect to eShop during CFW: Y
    Does the Eshop work: Y/
    Backups updated: Y both cfw and ofw
    Airplane mode: N
    AutoRCM: Y briccmii
    SX OS Version used when Online: 1.1 also 1.0
    Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: N

Draxzelex likes this.
  19. SilentSmile

SilentSmile Newbie

Newcomer
    May 25, 2018
    Israel

Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: Y
    SX OS used offline: y
    SX OS used online: N
    Layered FS Used online: N
    Connect internet with homebrew: N
    Connect to eShop during CFW: N
    Played with Layered FS Injects with OwnCert.: Y
    Does the Eshop work: N
    Backups updated: N
    Airplane mode: Y
    AutoRCM: N
    SX OS Version used when Online: 1.1
    Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: Y

lordelan, Xzi and Draxzelex like this.
  20. link42586

link42586 GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2018
    United States
    My question is how do u even activate SX OS without activating the internet...saw someone activate it and he had to turn off airplane mode then once it was activated turned it back on...I was thinking...well that probably got him banned in that minute or so he was online.

TAUSENN likes this.
  21. Emenaria

Emenaria GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Japan
    Banned: N
    Cleared Error Logs prior to going Online with nx-dreport: N
    SX OS used offline: N
    SX OS used online: Y (But I have never loaded/played any backups on SX OS)
    Layered FS Used offline: N
    Layered FS Used online: Y (But I have never used it for backup loading. I only used it to bypass Octopath Traveler Prologue Demo's 3-hour lock)
    Homebrew Offline: N
    Connect to eShop during CFW: N
    Does the Eshop work: Y
    Backups updated: N
    Airplane mode: N
    AutoRCM: Y (TX)
    SX OS Version used when Online: 1.1
    Auto Game Update/Downloads deactivated: N

Last edited by Emenaria, Jun 24, 2018
    Draxzelex likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice