Running Fusée Gelée through a Teensy 3.6

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by natinusala, May 1, 2018.

1. natinusala
    OP

natinusala The guy who writes Linux on Switch guides

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    I've been suggested on Reddit that a Teensy could work to run Fusée Gelée. I made some research and it looks like the Teensy 3.6 can have USB host support using this cable.

This library is a complete re-implementation of the USB protocol. It could be used as a base to make a Fusée Gelée launcher - I checked the code and everything needed is there. As we control everything that goes through the USB port here (remember, everything is re-implemented in the library), there will be no compatibility issues. The Teensy has enough memory to store both payloads (the one you want to run and the intermezzo payload).

The only drawback is that a Teensy 3.6 is not cheap, as it costs approximatively $40 (at least from France). I guess that in the end, somebody will sell a standalone Fusée launcher for less money than that anyway (or even a DIY kit using something else than a Teensy).

But I am curious - I wonder if somebody on this forum own a Teensy 3.6 and have programming knowledge to try this ? All is needed is to embed the payloads in a Teensy program and then use the USBHost_t36 library to port this script. It could be needed to use fusee-launcher.py to generate the payload beforehand if the memory is short on the Teensy.

2. DaveLister
    This message by DaveLister has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, May 1, 2018.
    May 1, 2018
  3. TheHomesk1llet

TheHomesk1llet Also known as "Kupo"

Apr 29, 2013
    United States
    Cyberspace
    Curious to see if it can also be done with an arduino uno or something.

4. natinusala
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    There is a USB Host Shield available for a lot of Arduinos but it's more complicated to use, it costs $24 and the library may not contain what we need for fusée gelée. The Teensy 3.6 is the best value for money, however I find $40 quite expensive, especially since a Raspberry Pi Zero can do the same.

5. tecfreak

tecfreak Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2018
    Germany
    It probably can't be done because of the missing usb host capability. But there are some usb host shield boards for the uno and due that may do the job. But still, i think you want the device to be as small as possible. A custom stm32 board with an usb-c connector would be awesome.

6. natinusala
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    France
    The Raspberry Pi Zero is a good candidate, it's cheap and somebody has already wrote something to run fusée gelée with it. I don't know how it's powered however, might need an external battery (regardless of the device used actually).

7. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426

How is the TX device pulling power ? From the switch itself it would appear ? Something the adruino and the teensy could achieve . I am not skilled enough to take this on . IT wont be long before some USB guru comes up with it i would imagine.

8. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 18, 2007
    it has a USB port so my first presumption was that it might have a small battery inside. But that could be wrong especially concerning the price... Maybe thats only their update channel (and for some reason they cant use usb out).

DaveLister likes this.
  9. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    @ktemkin did mention there was an easy DIY modchip solution, perhaps the plans will be released soon.

clank and DaveLister like this.
  10. DaveLister

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    The sample code sets seem to imply time waits are available for device initialization, and download execute scripts already built , i have no idea though would this need to be more linux friendly in terms of deploy and execute .

11. T-Error

T-Error GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2008
    Germany
    There is an official Android distro for the rPi zero so I guess you could simply use the apk someone wrote for android phones.

DaveLister likes this.
  12. DaveLister

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    I found that I think it was for the Pi III though needs XHCI support as well right ? @USB 3.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Sitting here pondering to buy adruino . teensy usb3.6 or Pi zero , going full dig dug on the pi Zero offering thanks for the tip @T-Error. Just wan to have one on hand just in case lols.

Last edited by DaveLister, May 15, 2018
  13. T-Error

T-Error GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2008
    Germany
    Your right there only is a distro for rPi3(remembered that wrong) and some do say that the zero is to weak to get an up to date android running. But who needs android when you got linux. I'm not sure about XHCI support with the zero.

Last edited by T-Error, May 15, 2018
  14. DaveLister

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
  15. link42586

link42586 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2018
    United States
    Back in the day before CFW on the ps3 A teensy was used to run A payload. I still have mine. So I don't see why something else couldn't do the same here. Just not the teensy I'm talking about it's probably not what'll get the job done but no external power was needed for that. But with two payloads needing to be run that'll get A little more complicated. It was about $20USD shipped back in the day.

Last edited by link42586, May 15, 2018
    DaveLister likes this.
  16. DaveLister

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    USB 3 and XHCI is your only road block i would guess on the older model.

Last edited by DaveLister, May 15, 2018
  17. link42586

link42586 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2018
    United States
    Yeah it's oldschool but it worked then. Same concept now but needs to be updated. I would say this idea is 100% possible and i'm sure this will happen at some point. But won't we be getting coldboot at some point? Without RCM (software) & need of pc?

Last edited by link42586, May 15, 2018
    DaveLister likes this.
  18. T-Error

T-Error GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2008
    Germany
    Back in the day I used my android phone to hack the PS3. ;)

19. Addconsult

Addconsult Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2018
    Sweden
  20. SilverfalconLP

SilverfalconLP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2013
    Im made .IMG for Raspberry Pi 3 whit autolaunch fusee-launcher on boot and hotspot for if i need change payload whit shh on movile ,i have idea make mini powerbank whit pi zero bit for the moment work ok pi3+powerbank

DaveLister likes this.
  21. DaveLister

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Both devices i have ...........
    Was looking at trying to achieve a less clunky operation , still would be interested in playing with it .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice