Should I Buy A iPhone 4 for Tinkering Purposes?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by CuriousTommy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Hello everyone,

I was thinking of buying an iPhone 4 to (maybe) play around with exploits. It's the cheapest and most recent iPhone I could think of that has an unpatchable bootrom exploit. I don't intend to use it as a daily driver at all since I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

In the best case, I want to mess around with limera1n (since the source is online) and see what I can make the iPhone 4 do, but if I never follow through with my original plans, would the iPhone 4 be an okay device to casually use as a secondary device? 50 bucks for a 32gb iPhone is not a lot of money, but I don't want a device that is too old to browse the web.

Do you think it is a good idea for me to buy an iPhone 4?

2. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    dude if you want a 4S i have one at my parents (ex fiance gave it to me I don't feel its worth returning to her iirc already jailbroken via Haiku just post relivant stuff i think you get access to trading forum at 500 post unless it changed then set up a thread we cand discuss more on here only in trading

3. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    You get access at 100 posts I believe. So he should be able to make a listing now.

4. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    u heard em

5. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Thanks, but I want an iPhone with a bootrom exploit. As far as I am aware, the 4S doesn't have a bootrom exploit. Plus my dad has a 4S anyway (if I ask him kindly, he will probably give it to me).

The whole point of me wanting to get the iPhone 4 is to understand how bootrom exploits work. I am curious about how exploits like limera1n work and how I could modify the exploit to make it do whatever I want it to do.

6. Kiker

Kiker Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2018
    United States
    iPhone 4 doesn't seem to be a good idea ,

7. CuriousTommy
    OP

CuriousTommy GBAtemp Fan

Jul 22, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I actually already bought one, but I do wonder why you think buying an iPhone 4 is not a good idea?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice