Switch Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by EpicLPer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    And actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I recall someone saying something about coldboot versus non-coldboot for stuff pre and post 4.1.0

2. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    I did a quick search on the forum but nothing poped up at the top, sooo...

A memory editor (probably external) would be great for cheating and such things (other than savegame editing)...
    Because of the limited memory and input capabilities I think the editor could/should be a remote program.

You run a service in kernelspace to get access to the game memory, which allows you to perform specific tasks on the switch from a remote editor.
    The network capabilities would be the limiting factor as wifi is not that fast to transmit the initial 1,000,000 results we know from CE and such.

This could be fun :D

3. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    Maybe this was answered before but I couldnt find anything...Anyway, Im wondering, is it necessary for 4.0.1 users to have phillips screwdriver at hand to be able to use incoming hack?

4. delete12345

delete12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    When is summer?

royvedas likes this.
  5. probablygay

probablygay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    United States
    Is it realistic to expect Switch Homebrew to eventually include Gamecube emulation of some kind?

6. delete12345

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, if you're able to port Dolphin emulator into Switch.....

7. probablygay

probablygay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2014
    United States
    Doesnt necessarily mean dolphin-- I'm wondering if Nintendo will be doing Gamecube virtual console on the Switch at some point, which would open the world of rom injection.

8. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    IF that happens, then yes

9. delete12345

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Probably not at this point. Sega is remastering old Sega Genesis games, and may look into remastering Saturn and Dreamcast games. NeoGeo and SNK games are all ported over. Nintendo hasn't announced anything in regards to NES Classic and SNES Classic. Nintendo hasn't announced anything related to "old Nintendo ports be played on the Switch", other than Arcade Classics which may be exclusive to the Switch Online services.

So, factoring all of these together, it's highly unlikely there will be some Virtual Console for the Switch. It will be a remaster, definitely, but nowhere near "emulator inside Switch".

10. Stercate79

Stercate79 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    @mod can we un-sticky this thread?

11. EpicLPer
    OP

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    If someone wants to help update the first post then why should they?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. Stercate79

Stercate79 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    you're right "if".
    there are many others threads about general hacking anyway

13. Slashcash

Slashcash GBAtemp Fan

Oct 15, 2015
    Italy
    Hi guys, i'm having some fun writing code for the Nintendo Switch, but i don't have real hardware to test it at the moment.
    I'm working on yet another save file manager, not that it will ever be completed but hey i have some free days to spend :D

Anyway, i'm searching for someone with homebrew access that can test this software. It is just a test minimal version (no gui or anything, just some text log) of this save manager that should extract a random save from your system to the root of your sdcard.

Upon an (eventual) succesful extraction you should have a file called svitch_test.svi on your sd card root. It is an archive that should contain your savefile, it can be opened with every archive manager (such as winzip, 7zip, winrar) otherwise you will get an error number on screen.
    While i'm almost sure it shouldn't mess with your savefile in any way (just reads them) i wouldn't try without a proper backup.

Since you shouldn't run random code found on internet this is the source of this particular test:
    http://github.com/Slashcash/Svitch/tree/first_test
    if you are interested in compiling this branch before trying you can ask for instructions.

Hoping to have good news!
    Here is the executable: http://mega.nz/#!s5oWwJAb!drnW8gf3v1u9ZSgcBndL3C7M3Wo26VLHRhxbkn3XD40

crazyxelite and lutyj like this.
  14. crazyxelite

crazyxelite Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2013
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Should I update to 4.0.1? I'm on 3.0.2 are they the same?

15. Resaec

Resaec GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2017
    Germany
    This was answered way too often. Just do it

Kvac and crazyxelite like this.
  16. delete12345

Feb 27, 2010
    United States
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I must be missing some crucial info around here...

I see comments saying "You can go look at the tutorial to do A or B"...

Where exactly is the "tutorial" people are mentioning?
    • Linux installation on Switch
    • eMMC backups
    • RAWNAND.bin dumping
    • Other stuffs that may be useful?

17. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Will Nintendo be able to detect CFW users?

I ask that because the exploit will probably reach a point where you'll be able to update your console and use all its online functionalities, right?
    I'm willing to keep buying all my games, I just want to use emulators and other stuff that are obviously gonna be able only with CFW.

Will it be ok or is it something that's unknown right now?

18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Basically, the latter. What we do know is that Nintendo has definitely learned from their past mistakes and supposedly the Switch sends a lot more information to Nintendo compared to their previous devices. Call the first week of CFW a test run, if you may.

19. renhei

renhei Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    Does homebrew currently work in docked mode? Or is it at least possible to do yet?

Last edited by renhei, May 9, 2018
  20. Switcyswachty

Switcyswachty Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2018
    Norway
    if enabeling homebrew meny on 3.0.0 does it go away only on reboot? will it still be there if you put it to sleep mode? :) thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice