RELEASE SX OS 1.3 unpacker

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by jjbredesen, Jul 10, 2018.

1. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2007

If people would really care, they should STOP using the tx os and STOP buying them, but you see that happening? I only see like 15 gbatempers telling people not to use is because gpl and you will make the devs cry, if you pirate nintendo, why would you care for a gpl that even the creators wont pursue in court? I hope they continue doing it so people will always have something to talk against tx :P

Last edited by kamesenin888, Jul 11, 2018
  2. NeoSlyde
    This message by NeoSlyde has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Jul 11, 2018, Reason: feel free to re-make your points in a more level headed manner :).
    Jul 11, 2018
  3. adrifcastr
    This message by adrifcastr has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Jul 11, 2018, Reason: feel free to re-make your points in a more level headed manner :).
    Jul 11, 2018
  4. NeoSlyde
    This message by NeoSlyde has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Jul 11, 2018, Reason: feel free to re-make your points in a more level headed manner :).
    Jul 11, 2018
  5. adrifcastr
    This message by adrifcastr has been removed from public view by gamesquest1, Jul 11, 2018, Reason: feel free to re-make your points in a more level headed manner :).
    Jul 11, 2018
  6. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    Those were the good ol' days, PSP had a kickass homebrew scene. That was the beginning of my console hacking, it was right after I bought a hacked OG Xbox(I had to know what else I can hack).

My next favorite scene was the Wii homebrew scene.

I'm hoping the Switch homebrew scene is filled with more orginal homebrew games and not just utilities and ports like the 3DS.

Anyways, I'm a fan of TX, I've installed a handful of modchips and used Jungle Flasher durning my 360 hacking days but they kind of rubbed me the wrong way this time around. That being said, I hope their OS does get cracked, call it poetic justice if you will. I mean they cracked the Switch wide open with their product(and stolen code), it only seems fair that the devs do the same to them.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247, Jul 11, 2018
    luca1 and Idaho like this.
  7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Because that's not what this is about? Using SX OS has nothing to do with the violation of the license. Its about whether or not TX used code from other sources which has been proven true. The license is a legal backup in case TX or anyone else had any funny ideas about using their code. Its also part bragging rights that TX could not have their product without the help of Atmosphere but I don't feel that is important. Anyone who does is letting their emotions override their wants out of a hacked console. You should only care about using SX OS if you want to play backups because that is their only advantage over Atmosphere at the moment.

adrifcastr likes this.
  8. kamesenin888

Oct 20, 2007
    Thats why people do not care, i don't give a damn for gpl as a user because i am pirating nintendo games, literally the ones that complain are non tx users, the product has ease of use is a huge plus that the open source community lacks, it works good and nearly flawless, if you think gpl is so important, tell that to the nintendo devs lol go cry together to the real pirates that dont care

KhenemetHeru and dspair like this.
  9. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You don't get it. This is not about people who buy or don't buy TX. You can still buy their product and realize they violated a license.

Hypocritical?

We are all are since we are hacking the Switch. Step outside this hacking website and the rest of the Switch users who are not hackers, which are the majority, will not give two shits whether you bought or didn't buy TX's products. All they care is that you hacked their console which means they label you and the rest of us as the bad guys.

Fair?

Of course not but that is the reality of the situation and certainly one you can't just simply ignore. Being divisive like this is counterintuitive towards the whole community of GBATemp as well as the Switch hacking scene in general. If you want to take part in this so-called Atmosphere vs SX OS war, then you are just as bad as the "crybaby" devs hexkyz and naehrwert AND TX who instigated by mudslinging Kate Temkin before the bootrom exploit was leaked as well as in SX OS V1.3 by labeling hexkyz's tweets as fake news when they themselves never admitted to including brick code in the first place. The point is neither side is right on this debate and this debate should not exist in the first place.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 12, 2018
  10. zaku

zaku Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    until h provides proof I'm gonna call his claim fake news.

brick code in sx? yeah i believe it.

possible to trigger in normal use? bullshit.

210modz likes this.
  11. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    This is a fair point.

12. Kun_ADR

Kun_ADR Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2018
    Cambodia

Stolen code? Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Atmosphere open source?

13. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its licensed under GPL meaning you are allowed to borrow code from it but only if the source code of whatever it is that you are building with what you borrowed is released (which TX has not done or probably will do ever)

Quantumcat and wicksand420 like this.
  14. longxa762

longxa762 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Australia
    Oh hey, we are back to GPL again, seriously can the mod just create a separate pinned topic for these peoples already, they spam that GPL talks on every topic about TX.

slaphappygamer, Kun_ADR and Bargy like this.
  15. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    You're very much free to start one if you would like.

Draxzelex likes this.
  16. kamesenin888

Oct 20, 2007
    I created the thread but got a dupe if you can maybe sticky it and delete the duplicate

17. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    No sticky, but I deleted the dupe

comput3rus3r and Draxzelex like this.
  18. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    LOL, I couldn't care less about the politics here, I just want to play backups. It's like some people who buy drugs but hates dealing with drug dealers... it's the same thing here. Nobody likes to deal with those dodgy businesses in China but has no choice if you want a backup player.

19. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Alright, so what would happen if they just credited the people who made the stuff? Would that piss more people off? Or would it unpiss the pissed?

20. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    It isn't just credit, they'd have to provide the changed source code too.

21. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    If TX did that, haterz would find something else to complain about.

KhenemetHeru and DarthDub like this.
  22. Dabiolos

Dabiolos Member

Newcomer
    Jan 17, 2018
    Germany
    I guess hopes are they released the changes and free backup loading is acchieved but I guess they would only have to release changes within the stolen code... It seems like (just guessing from hex tweets that the only change was to remove the Easter egg in v1.3 (crediting would have done it for releases before that).

The backup loading part of sx is in another code section and independent from the stolen code and could stay closed (if I understand gpl correctly)

Quantumcat likes this.
  23. smf

smf GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Linking to GPL code would require you to release your code under GPL. The LGPL would work the way you suggest.

Dabiolos likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice