Torn Between 4.1 and 5.1

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Harvin26, Jun 12, 2018.

1. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    The only reason for not updating now is the possibility of getting in to RCM mode from your sysnand. If you want a completely clean sysnand for online play then you'd have to update regardless.

I'm in a similar situation to you, on 4.1 and i'd like to do everything on one Switch without risking getting banned from online play.

At some point I will probably update from 4.1 and enjoy using my Switch as normal. If I want hacks I can boot in to an Emunand with no network settings and keep that totally offline, having the best of both worlds.

As you say no reason to update yet as no games require greater than 4.1, so i'm holding out for now. Eventually I will most likely update, however for now i'm keeping my options open just to see what happens.

Nah3DS likes this.
  2. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    If you do not update now you will miss on the newer game titles to come. See how games that require 4.1 don't run on 3.x? How those that require 3.x won't run on 1.0.0? Even if you're only interested in TX backup loader, at some point some game carts will start require update to the most recent FWs.
    Get on board while there is still time before Nintendo releases another software update and update your games, get your DLC and some free demos!

3. baretbh

baretbh GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2018
    Mexico
    BC, Mexico
    It was hard for me to upgrade as well. I've noticed though lately, most people are making the jump just due to the fact that most of the recent homebrew is working better on later firmwares. Not to mention, you can still use the e-shop etc :) Ultimately, your call. I would advice doing it. Especially now that hekate sleep mode is working flawlessly :)

4. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    This is exactly my dilemma 2 months ago when I first bought my Switch. It was on v2.3.0 back then and it came bundled with BotW. Unfortunately the cart is revision 002 so I'd have to update to 4.1.0 just to play it. In the end, I updated my switch since it was confirmed that atmosphere will work on all firmwares. Now I'm on the latest firmware since I also ended up buying the DLCs for the game. I'm on autoRCM and my phone supports USB OTG so all is well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The only reason you would remain on 4.1 at this point is you don't want to use a jig and USB cable to boot hacks onto your Switch or you don't want to keep it in sleep mode 24/7. 4.1 may see a web-based softmod warmboot in the future.

valrond likes this.
  6. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    I'd avoid autoRCM for now until the battery issue gets fixedd (apparently the battery not charging in RCM is caused by it as per @CTCaer's experiment).
    I just hacked my right joycon and use my phone to boot Hekate for now.

7. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    This is basically me, to the point I thought this post was mine lol

8. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    Uhhh...I think you have your informations wrong. Battery not charging is only in recovery mode (RCM) but once you're in the horizon, even during sleep mode, you can charge normally.

Unless you usually leave your switch powered off, then yeah, avoid autoRCM as you might accidentally enter RCM when you charge.

9. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Battery does charge in normal RCM. It doesn't with AutoRCM has this payload corrupts some system files.
    I'm talking about the risk of completely depleting your battery in AutoRCM if trickle (fail-safe to prevent battery from dying) charging fails.

10. Fuk

Fuk Newbie

Newcomer
    May 24, 2018
    Italy
    Well warmboot requires much more time than just using a dongle, so I wouldn't mind too much losing it. What bugs me is the lack of emunand for tx os.
    Personally, I will update before usign tx os ( I'm on 3.0.1 and I want to play newer games) to 5.1 , make a nandbackup and when tx will add emunand support I'll just transfer my saves from sysnand to emunand and restore the first to that 5.1 clean backup.

11. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I bit the bullet and went to 5.1.0 last night, as I had pre-ordered SX OS the day before. I decided to do it since there will really be no downside — just in case the Big N releases an update that will take a while for TX to update the CFW offsets/obfuscation/etc.

12. Red1Reaper

Red1Reaper Asperger Dude

Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    Valencia, Rafelbuñol
    You can also put a modchip that is basically a internal dongle to autinject payloads and mix it whit autoRCM, rebug team is creating a modchip.

13. frankGT

frankGT GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2009
    Portugal
    Just updated my 4.0.1 to 5.1.0... how i rationalized it:

-SX OS and Atmosphere work on 5.1
    -Next update might target SX OS and Atmosphere
    -exFAT driver without risks
    -Ready to all the present and some future games while emunand isnt a thing
    -Latest and greatest software for my hardware (joycons included)

Sleep mode ftw. :yay:

Last edited by frankGT, Jun 12, 2018
  14. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    I've been using AutoRCM since the day sleep mode was fixed in hekate. Haven't had any issues with it. And I definitely haven't heard of this issue you're talking about which involves AutoRCM but not normal RCM.

It doesn't charge in RCM (period). It doesn't matter if it's normal or it's auto. It just doesn't charge when you're in it. It, however, will still charge normally if you're on horizon or your swich is completely turned off.

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    It can charge in RCM but only if the BCT is intact aka if you don't have AutoRCM.

Proof:

Zumoly and annson24 like this.
  16. CaptainLoozer

CaptainLoozer GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Negative. If you ordered SX Pro, you will NOT get a code by email. The license is already active on the dongle and you will have to wait until you physically get it in the mail. Only customers who ordered SX OS will get license codes.

MattKimura likes this.
  17. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    I see a problem with that. What if the dongle becomes lost. Does that mean SX-OS is gone with it?

18. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Yes, that would be the case, unfortunately.

The only way I could see being able to recover is if somehow you were able to extract the license code from the dongle. The OS, I assume, would be easily downloaded on their site. If you could extract the code, you could just use the OS stand alone with your own hardware I'd imagine, since you would be using it with the same switch.

Last edited by CaptainLoozer, Jun 13, 2018
  19. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    That's a deal breaker for me. Why would they market it in a way that the SX-OS license is actually better. I wouldn't want SX-OS to disappear forever just because I lose the dongle. I wanted their jig more than anything tbh. I'm really disappointed, glad I didnt get to place an order yet. I'll save myself some money and get it sooner.

20. CaptainLoozer

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Honestly I think the general consensus is that most people will switch to atmosphere as soon as it's ready with a good homebrew XCI loader. To that end, having the dongle would still prove to be useful since you can use any payload you want.

Fuk likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice