What should I do before I start SX OS for the 1st time?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Sovikos, Jul 10, 2018.

1. atrocious123

atrocious123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Alright, thanks. it's just that i wanted to use this method that another member has shared/posted as well.. it looks much simpler but with a risk that you might get upgraded to 5.1. so if i were to follow the tutorial for everything, i would just boot up sx os normally with the dongle and rcm?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Hmm, haven't heard of anyone installing a .NSP of a game update without SX OS but in theory, you don't have to buy game updates so your console doesn't need to verify that you got the update legitimately. That is how it worked on the 3DS after all.
    Since you have the TX jig, your success with following that guide increases exponentially, but it still does carry a small risk of failure. The key to following the guide in the spoiler is that you have to prevent the console from showing the Nintendo logo when it reboots after installing the system update. Failure to do so will burn the fuses.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 12, 2018
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I'm not sure it would work without SX OS, but OP has SX OS anyway.

4. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I don't think updates require a ticket in order to be recognized. DLC and games do because they must be purchased from the eShop so signature patching must be applied to bypass this step. Anyways, unless someone else tries it, its just speculation. I don't want to be anywhere near LayeredFS or DevMenu.

5. Gootah

Gootah GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2013
    United States
    Set a parental control password before launching

6. atrocious123

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Alright, maybe I'll give a try later after confirming a few items here so I can do it properly. I know the risk is there but since I have SX Pro, it's really the easier way out for me and I wouldn't mind trying this for additional feedback. Can I just confirm these few items:

1. Currently using 32gb fat32 sd card, can I change it to 200gb exFAT after I updated to 5.1.0 (is it as simple as copying the files over?) But I would also need to update the exFAT card to be compatible with my switch, forcing me to shut down and swap cards. Will boot.dat work with hekate even though I've never formatted the exFAT card with the Nintendo before?

2. Once I have updated to 5.1, do I backup the 5.1 NAND?

3. So with the autoRCM set up after installation of SX OS, am I still able to launch into OFW through sx bootloader or launching into OFW at any point would burn the efuse?

Thanks for helping guys.

7. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. When you are on 5.1 and the system detects an exFAT formatted SD card, it will download the exFAT update. However, this is treated like a system update so doing it officially much like a system update introduces the same risks towards burning fuses; meaning you would need to boot the Switch into RCM after it is done installing the exFAT update but before it can turn back on. The alternative is to use one of the following guides to get the exFAT update offline: http://taraftartekstil.com/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ or http://taraftartekstil.com/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/
    2. This is where it gets interesting. If you make a backup of the 5.1 NAND, it can be useful for returning to 5.1 without following the whole guide again. If you decide to go back to your original firmware at any point but you are having second thoughts and want to go back to 5.1, you can use that 5.1 dump to update yourself to 5.1 in a flash. The only issue is that it will retain all of the hacking-related stuff you did on 5.1 so if you are worried about a ban, don't restore the 5.1 NAND
    3. Yes, selecting OFW through the SX OS menu is safe to not burn your fuses. Even Hekate has an option for booting into OFW which works the same way as the one in SX OS

8. atrocious123

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Guys, a bit confused with the SD card, can i launch SX OS without SD card? What would happen if i power on with jig at the rail and sx pro dongle but with no SD card with boot.dat in the switch? And how can i swap it out to configure the exFAT SD card. The purpose of updating to 5.1 the easy way for me was to also update the exFAT sd card. Thus, killing 2 birds with one stone but i'm not so sure about the sequence of works now. Any advice?

9. RAGER

RAGER GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Russia
    W/o sdcard OS SX just wont start with message "Boot.dat?". If you want to officially update to 5.1 with exfat support, you will have to connect your console to internet via wi-fi, install the sdcard in exfat format and confirm the update. Then you can start and use OS SX.

10. atrocious123

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Thanks but if i were to boot to OFW without the efuse burning, can i just remove the SD card and slot in the new SD card?

11. RAGER

RAGER GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Russia
    You mean you want to change sdcards without restarting console? Or add exfat support to current firmware that you updated to w/o burning fuses? Or what?

12. atrocious123

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    After my update to 5.1 OFW (without burning eFuse - which i think i can do) can i change SD cards without restarting console and use the SD card for exFAT support immediately? Just worried that as the exFAT sd card is empty, it wouldn't be able to detect the boot.dat and it will start with RCM and boot into OFW thus updating the efuses. Just wanted to know if it's possible to do this sequence. Thanks man

13. RAGER

RAGER GBAtemp Regular

Jul 2, 2018
    Russia
    IF you will follow the guide nicely you will get firmware 5.1 already with exFAT support + activated AutoRCM (briccmii) to prevent normal OFW start to avoid burning fuses.

14. atrocious123

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Senegal
    Thanks! Quick last question, i currently have AutoRCM activated but would like to check my eFUSE. Can i just inject briccmmii payload to check? and would anything clash/happen

15. Sovikos
    OP

Sovikos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2018
    Canada
    Ok so looks like Octopath Traveller requires 5.0.0. I am on 4.1.0. What can be done to allow me to play this? Do I log into OFW and update? Do I update with CFW? I don't want to use the Auto RCM as I've heard it increases ban risks, do I need to use it if I update my FW?

16. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You would have to update your Switch in order to play the game (first game that needs higher than 4.1 to play it seems). I would recommend following this guide on how to update you can return to 4.1 at any point: http://taraftartekstil.com/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

17. Sovikos
    OP

Sovikos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2018
    Canada
    What is the burning fuses thing?

18. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Basically, there are fuses inside your Switch and every few system updates or so, Nintendo burns one. This way, you cannot simply downgrade by loading a lower firmware because the console compares the number of fuses with the firmware of the console. Read the bottom for more details: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses

19. Sovikos
    OP

Sovikos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2018
    Canada
    Alright thanks for your help! How many fuses do they have? You think'd they'd run out eventually.

20. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Supposedly, they have more fuses than they know what to do with so don't count on them running out of fuses to burn. Given the lifespan of consoles and the current rate at which they burn fuses, I'd be surprised if they burnt through all of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice