What's your favorite operating system of all time and why?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by snails1221, May 1, 2018.

1. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Public release yes, but when you got relatives in the Microsoft developer programs (basically making programs for up-and-coming OSs so there can be instant support when it rolls out), you can get a Beta version meant for testing up to a year or so earlier and I sure got the opportunity to use that. Even in Beta it was reliable and much more stable than the stupid Win8:P I miss that program, got discontinued with Vista SP2 unfortunately.

Taleweaver likes this.
  2. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks you're all alright actually

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    Windows 10, fuck you fight me

Seriel likes this.
  3. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Windows 2000 all the way.

4. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    Cant really decide between Ubuntu 16 or windows 8.1 and if you are wondering why 8.1 its just 7 is missing features im used too and 10 well sucks

5. SaberLilly

SaberLilly Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    United States
    Well out of the choices for Windows, I'd have to say 7. It was just a very clean sleek OS, plenty of customization both official and unofficial and hardware support was AMAZING

Now I use 10 and while I don't have any qualms with it (I mean Hey I jumped on the Win 10 Hype Bandwagon Train and got it for free) Something about it just feels off, like while everything is "there" it just feels scattered, or buried. Like trying to navigate around to find something without using the search doesn't feel very fun at all.

As for non-windows OSes I'm bit torn because I've used plenty of those as well, but I think Zorin OS is my favorite of the non-windows ones because of again, a very clean user interface with everything right where you expect it to be, although i use it on an atom netbook so it doesn't perform as well as it can.

6. juc27pmg

juc27pmg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2018
    United States
    Nostalgically windows 98, most functional windows 8.1, most educational raspian, longest ive ever used windows xp and windows 7

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Amiga OS 3.1 - because it was cool.

Peloisan likes this.
  8. juc27pmg

juc27pmg Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2018
    United States
    I wonder how long will it take for someone to mention redstar os just for the heck of it

9. huntertron1

huntertron1 a simple youtuber that is trying to survive

Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    ubuntu

10. Kingy_

Kingy_ Call me Kingy.

Feb 21, 2016
    United Kingdom
    England I guess
    Windows 2000 is and always will be my favourite OS. It's XP without all the bloat and Luna rubbish.

11. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    Last edited by Jack Daniels, May 19, 2018
  12. dAVID_

dAVID_ Carpinter's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    For me it has to be Windows 7.
    There's pretty much the same compatibility as Win10 and is easier to configure to bypass Windows Update.
    In my opinion, Windows 10 is a re-skin of 7.

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Win7. Would've preferred they keep updating that one forever instead of 10.

Kingy_ likes this.
  14. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    killed about 80% of all my favorite games you know

15. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    All time? Windows XP. Rock solid and was still mainstream for a long time.

Windows 7 is a close second. Still usable, even now.

16. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    That's why XP was/is a hacker's wet dream. Piss poor 64bit kernel, plug-and-play malware, network share worms, and a whole cornucopia of shenanigans. Why are people so nostalgic for this OS? Only reason why it remained "mainstream" for so long was because companies deemed it unnecessary to pay to upgrade. Because of this numerous government offices and hospitals were compromised across the globe.

Last edited by Joom, May 20, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Fedora. I don't really know how to explain why I like it better than Debian based distos, I guess I've just had a better experience with it. Except when I updated and my Wifi driver crapped out.

Plus I think dnf is better than apt.

For nostalgia, Windows XP. It's what my first computer had

Last edited by ry755, May 20, 2018
  18. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Pacman will always be the superior package manager. Also, this is a testament to how long it's been since I've used Linux. When did Fedora stop using yum?

19. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    Windows 98 or Arch Linux.

20. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Someone actually tried to get pacman working on Fedora, but it doesn't look like he got it fully working: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?303296-Q-s-about-pacman

I think it switched to dnf in Fedora 22.

Joom likes this.
  21. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Does a poor 64 bit offering change much here? The lack of such a thing certainly sucked for a lot of what I wanted, especially with their reluctance to use PAE, but the path for the malware pusher was not really changed any.
    Equally is network share driven fun and games unique to XP? I saw it on plenty of other things.

Anyway it probably was unnecessary -- requirements for most things stagnated such that my core2 machine I built back in 2007 continued to run a browser, an office program, a media player and otherwise remain a functional machine, probably would been to this day if it had not be run into the ground before then, and indeed I have still have a few such machines in service. That would be almost unthinkable in the years prior.
    Said browser also started to be the frontend to more and more programs and functions said businesses needed, and today it is arguably a brave choice as a software dev to make a client side program rather than a web frontend.
    Some of said browser stuff was unfortunately tied to older browser standards (be it activex or general rendering anomalies) which played into desire to push upgrades to a future date. Actually I might even place more blame on the need for legacy rendering tech than most other things.

At the same time Vista was either sluggish on lower end hardware (to say nothing of the "vista capable" debacle) or wanted something serious to run which did not help matters.

In turn many newer versions added things to make life theoretically easier for some, but often got in the way of those that actually fixed things and made it all work.
    During the same period I had learned to use nlite to mod isos from the start, got a process going on post install (these days even easier thanks to http://ninite.com/ ) and generally learned the programs and tweaks necessary to make it really sing. These days I can just about do it for 7 as well but not quite to the same extent.
    Stock XP, even SP3. Not very fun.
    XP as bastardised by FAST6191. Lean, fast and capable of doing all the common tasks and more besides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice