Discussion Will there Ever be Online Ban Invincibility?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by coon-strudel, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MadMageKefka

MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Uhh, this is wrong. The ban targets an identifying file on the 3ds called LocalFriendcodeSeed_B (or LFCS_B for short), which is console unique. Emunand is a clone of sysnand, and has the same LFCS_B file. Unless you change that file on your emunand manually, getting banned in emunand will result in sysnand also being banned. Emunand is NOT a ban shield.

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Jun 14, 2018
  2. coon-strudel
    OP

coon-strudel That one weird Furry Artist

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    I hate cheaters.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Or that got broken or somehow doesn't work anymore, but you still legitamatly purchased it, so you have the right to use a backup.
    That's what I think the definition of a backup is. I find it reasonable to want to back up a $60.00 game. Doesn't anyone else notice how flimsy and shaky the Switch carts feel and sound? I mean, I buy half of my stuff digitally, but I'd still like to be safe and have backups in the case of anything happening.

Yeah, exactly.

3. SocraticBliss

SocraticBliss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2017
    United States
    That's nice, but by asking for Online Ban Invincibility, as a side effect, you are allowing those cheaters to be able to continue to cheat without repercussion. Not cool.

4. optikalsaint

optikalsaint Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    Having experience working in this field I can think of ten different ways they could fingerprint/identify users of hacked systems playing online. The real question ends up being is it profitable to ban those systems? In most cases the answer is going to be a solid no. Banning them takes engineering time and money to put a system in place to identify these users and while piracy is a problem it isn't a problem that is breaking the bank for them. However if your actions while you are online threaten Nintendo's profits in any way (e.g. using cheats online to ruin the experience for others) then you can rest assured it will probably become worth the time and effort to develop a system to track those users and remove them from the community experience.

coon-strudel likes this.
  5. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Isn't getting banned for hacking a game and doing so to go online and cheat against other players vs creating and using backups of games to use online without any harm towards others, two different things?

6. SocraticBliss

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2017
    United States
    Yes, but the underlying premise is you were banned...

1) You go online in a game that you may (or may not) own and you are banned from the game (for whatever reason).
    2) Magical unban hax.
    3) You are now able to go back into the online game!

Don't you see how step 2 is an open doorway for cheaters to do the same thing?

7. Blasingame

Blasingame Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2009
    United States
    Don't play games online before they are out in stores... :ninja:

#pokemonsunmoon

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE likes this.
  8. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    That's only common sense.

Okay, what if there was no unban hax at all, and cheaters were more likely to get the boot?
    Or better, what if the hax was only for people with a specific ban error codes, so that it wouldn't work for cheaters?

9. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    EmuNAND won't be a ban shield but if you keep it completely offline while keeping sysNAND online, then it's a safe approach.
    Or vice versa, sysnand offline and emunand online. I remember reading somewhere that you will be able to launch emuNAND without cfw patches. But that person may have been speaking blindly.

10. SocraticBliss

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2017
    United States
    The first option is much more likely...

I dunno how you would be able to feasibly create something like the second option...

11. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Not at all. I purchase every game I want to play.

12. SimonMKWii

SimonMKWii GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 18, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Speaking of which, playing backups is possible now.
    I successfully loaded my Labo dump from SD!

13. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Using what method? I thought it wasn't possible yet?

14. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Hmm... How would that work? Keeping sysNAND offline but emuNAND online? To the best of my understanding, when you make an emuNAND, it clones your sysNAND to the SD card, including the LFCS_B file. Even if it didn't, the file is console unique, so you would have to aquire a valid one from another system on your own, and replace it in your NAND yourself. Otherwise, it's going to be the same exact file, no matter how many reformats/emuNANDs you make. That file is what Nintendo uses to identify you. Getting banned on emuNAND, even with sysNAND offline, would get that file identified and logged in their servers as banned, so.... once you go back to sysNAND and enable online, Nintendo servers see that exact same ID file, and refuse to let you on.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong on this one.

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Jun 15, 2018
  15. NO_ob

NO_ob GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    nah you're supposed to keep emunand offline desu. Sysnand will be safe aslong as you keep all your homebrew and pirated games on the emunand and keep that offline

16. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    I see what you mean, but that's missing the point of all this completely. OP is talking about backups, not homebrew. If you're staying offline, then it's not a ban shield. You can also accomplish the same thing without an emuNAND on 3ds. Saves a ton of SD card space.

17. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What's the difference between a banned console and a console that is always offline?

18. NO_ob

NO_ob GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    backups currently have no header so a ban is innevitable thats why you use the backups on your emuanand with no internet. But we will likely have nsp games soon and those may be able to go online fine it depends if nintendo is going to be looking at what you have installed and comparing it to what you have in your eshop purchases. I previously said in this thread though that it may be possible to get a cheap game to take a header from, this could be injected into and xci dump before installing so you can use it to go online it worked with the 3ds in the early days so will likely work on the switch

19. MadMageKefka

Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    World of ruin
    Again, you're missing the point.

Last edited by MadMageKefka, Jun 15, 2018
  20. NO_ob

NO_ob GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2017
    how am i missing the point if the header thing works fine the games can go online without a ban

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice