Wonder, The Android-Based Nintendo Switch Competitor, Announced

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, May 16, 2018.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    If their product is quite literally "ARM powered device that slides vertically into a dock with detachable controllers on either side that slide on and off" then they're going to get sued to hell and back by Nintendo. And it'd be totally justified, because they have the parents to back them up this time around

2. Nisem0n0

Nisem0n0 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2017
    United States
    Mobile gaming is trash no matter what you make. Literally all just oversaturated gacha games or townbuilders. The last mobile game I even played was dragon quest iv port and the only reason was for the party chat otherwise would have just played on ds

Brawl345 likes this.
  3. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Oh, that was exciting to hear the first time about it and also the last time ;)

I just leave this here, uncommented:

Last edited by VitaType, May 16, 2018
  4. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    So like the Nvidia Shield Project.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Maybe.. Could also be misinterpreting it? I'm reading it as a miracast kind of deal where it wirelessly streams to a compatible TV or adapter. Which to me is just... Dumb...

Prans likes this.
  6. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Pfft do they really think they can challenge the astounding success that was the OUYA? I think not.

DKB likes this.
  7. chartube12

chartube12 CPT Chazz 713

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Shit! Same company who made the wikipad n is suing Nintendo for patent violations.

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I just want the games on the system to have controller support. Not feel like I'm still playing a touch screen game. Fortunately I use shield tv now which is far better than ouya and has actual console game ports even if some are rather old, still even with nvidia game stream or the cloud gaming service helps boost the range of content. I felt ouya may have tried to open the box for developers to create original content but didn't really try to commit them to make games designed for a home console setting, most of how early sega genesis games was arcade ports and games still play like if it was just a arcade with focus on high scores, no saves, limited lives and continues and games that didn't last too long until they started doing that later in the console life. :unsure:

9. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Seriously! ENOUGH with these so called Android gaming phones. Now if we had a Windows tablwt with a dock, that would be world shaking.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Looks much better than the joycons, and those were designed by industry veterans.

11. tomhanks69

tomhanks69 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    GBAtemp Patron
    tomhanks69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 31, 2017
    United States
    'Murica
    *palms face* I have no words

12. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    Funny, that's precisely the story of the Sega Saturn. It's also the reason the Saturn has one of the best collections of shoot'em ups of any console. :)

Eddypikachu likes this.
  13. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    If they want this to take off they should make a dedicated gaming device first with smartphone abilities second and get developers on board for the dedicated device. Not a custom Android firmware and a dock for overclocking games designed for non gaming hardware that noone wants to play in their living room.

The Nokia N-Gauge flopped in part due to it's design being based too much on the phone aspect.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I though the turbo graphic 16 was known for the shooter dominating their console. :ninja:

15. DKB

DKB FUCK

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Here's to this failing worse than the Ouya. I'd rather just use a Android Emulator on my PC..

16. MiguelinCrafter

MiguelinCrafter Halt!

Jan 8, 2015
    Russia
    Ready? GO!
    Even I think the joycons look better

DarthDub likes this.
  17. felix.200

felix.200 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    This thing will be dead on arrival...

18. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    Lol, that is hilarious. :rofl2:

You know the true reason behind Switch success wasn't it design, right? From the start Switch is just normal tablet with ability to stream on tv, even joy-con are just "very creative bluetooth controller" so there is nothing special about Switch design.

The true reason for it success is Nintendo™ games. That is the sole reason people want it, for thing like BotW, Bayonetta, Splatoon, Kirby, Mario, Pokemon... not for a glorify tablet that can stream on tv. I would love to see who would want to buy a basically an OUYA with worst game library on the market.

19. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    To be honest, the idea is pretty cool, but I doubt that this thing will be successful.

20. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    tis just meh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice