Xbox One X Sold for 42.98 on eBay. Xbox One S sold for 42.88. What's going on here?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by appleburger, Jul 5, 2018.

1. appleburger
    OP

appleburger GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2012
    United States
    My bullshit senses are tingling pretty hard here, but I can't think of what's actually going on, here.

Going through eBay, you can check 'show completed items' on the side menu to see what prices certain things are actually selling for.

I did this for Xbox One, and came across these. On of the sellers also sold off another new Xbox One S for under 50 bucks, supposedly, and both of these sellers have 100% feedback!

What's actually going on here? Surely there's trouble afoot, but I can't imagine how.

2. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Bids instead of Buy Now?

3. Rel

Rel GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2018
    United States
    Those are being sold by hacked accounts, same thing is done with Nintendo Switch and PS4's, they will not be shipped and the accounts will be closed after people report them for not shipping.

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Or, if you're lucky, it's sold by a hacked account, and you'll get a nice little empty box in the mail before the seller disappears into the night.

5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Still cheaper than Labo.

Fugelmir likes this.
  6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    :unsure:Is this part of a meme or what?

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Dude, the Labo is $70 where I live.

8. appleburger
    OP

Feb 26, 2012
    United States
    I just find it an odd scheme, with eBay being so willing to refund buyers. Are these guys actually running away with cash after buyers pay up? Does eBay go after these guys? It also seems like a lot of effort for 40 bucks, when selling them for 120 would be (slightly) less fishy, and surely bring them more money?

And yeah, they're all 'buy it now' prices.

I've seen Craigslist scams aplenty, but these super low eBay prices seem nuts to me.

9. anakinvm

anakinvm GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    They also get your name, email, real home address, etc. They can just make profit later with your data.

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    People will impulse buy at $40 vs $120, thats what they want

11. appleburger
    OP

Feb 26, 2012
    United States
    Update: So my coworker decided to buy one of these, for science. He figures eBay is good enough about refunding buyers that he can't lose.

They indeed cancelled the order, claiming the account was hacked - as expected. eBay is now refunding him.

I guess eBay will now 'attempt to go after the seller', so I guess the idea here from the scammer's perspective is to never actually refund eBay?

Seems like a pretty huge oversight on eBay's end, considering how many of these listings I've spotted on the site. That's a lot of money they're giving away.

12. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I remember buying one of those 30 dollar Wii-Us for fun on eBay. I emailed Paypal, of course they refunded my money. The eBay seller did send me a tracking number, but no package ever arrived. Supposedly the package got sent to the complete wrong state, and got lost in the mail, according to the tracking.

13. tatumanu

tatumanu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 1, 2004
    Portugal
    When i see that it means the shipping is 300 dollars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice